Uprated dampers

Hi all

Does anyone know of any uprated dampers available for the 197. I have recently fitted H&R springs and now one of the rear dampers have gone. I had a feeling this would happen but there ya go. I will replace the lot if i can find what i want. I don't really want to fit coilovers as they usually need to much maintenance. I had a quick look on line and there doesn't seem to be a lot available!

Thanks, Graeme.

You can get a full set of Cup Dampers for around £250.

They're made by KYB and supplied to Renaultsport to use as OEM parts. Beyond that, it's Coilovers really.

You can get a full set of Cup Dampers for around £250.

They're made by KYB and supplied to Renaultsport to use as OEM parts. Beyond that, it's Coilovers really.

Yeah thought so. I was hoping bilstein or someone done a set. Hopefully I will be able to get these cheaper than that through a friend, is that £250 retail?

Yeah £250-ish is what you'll pay from a Renault dealer, Karl on here is a dealer and gives discounts to Paid members (£5 per year), you'll save more than that on first order. Like what Andreas has said, KYB are very good. They do a lot of stuff for big baja jeeps and Japanese stuff too, it's just that they're not the first name you'd think of really as they don't get the press the others do.

I think I've seen the Koni ones Ryan mentioned, they're adjustable from what I remember.

Yeah I know KYB, it's short for Kayaba. They make a lot of motorbike suspension units. It looks like cup dampers are going to be the way forward then!

Thanks for your help everyone!

200 Cup Dampers are stiffer than the 197 version. Also, later 200s have a different top mount and so 197 parts will not fit them and vice versa.

200 Cup Dampers are stiffer than the 197 version. Also, later 200s have a different top mount and so 197 parts will not fit them and vice versa.

So if I was to order 2010 200cup dampers they would fit my 197 but be better than 197cup dampers. Is that correct?

So if I was to order 2010 200cup dampers they would fit my 197 but be better than 197cup dampers. Is that correct?

Nope, they probably wouldn't fit. The early 200s use the same Top Mount as the 197s, but the later ones use a different Top Mount. So if you took some Dampers off a 2006 car for example, then they wouldn't fit on a 2011 car and vice versa. I'm not exactly sure when the Top Mounts were changed, nobody is, it just seems to have been at some point in 2010. That's build year and not registration year, so some cars that are on a '10 plate may still be the old style Top Mount if they were assembled before the change happened. If that makes sense. :smile:

Early 200 Dampers will fit on 197s though.

Thx Willis

No probs. :thumbsup:

Ok so an 2009 200cup then. I suppose there is always a chance the early 200's have the same dampers as the 197's. Maybe it's just the revised post 2010 ones that's stiffer?

The 200 has softer Dampers than a 197. The 200 Cup has firmer Dampers than a 197 Cup.