Track tyres wet and dry

nicfred

Gold Member
Looking to buy some tyres, they will be for race/track only
Which tyre is best for dry and which is best for in the wet
Looking for a set of each:driveby:

For dry consider Yokohama A048 or R888's

If you really need a set of "wets" a lot of people rate the toyo R1-R

In my experience the AD08's are fine for both unless you're looking to gain an extra few tenths

If its just for track then you can't go wrong with the Federal FZ-201 or the Silverstone FTZ Type RR

Federal

Silverstone

Both have bags of grip in the dry and are road legal to get you there and back

I've just read through about 10 threads/links that were put up by NOddie and still none the wiser :w00t:

The car is fully striped with cage and the idea was the Michelin Clio cup but now maybe going elsewhere due to the kit costing around £4k and the the cage another £1k and then Michelin tyres around £1k would make my car worth around £15k and i would only need those parts to run that series, not anywhere else,when I could get a proper cup car for that, so going to go and check Rockingham this week end for the French trophy series, been told my car ok as is, so only need some discs/ pads and tyres.

So yes it will be for track only and transported on my trailer

A lot of Championships run control tyres so you may want to ask that question before you go and splash out on something you can't race with.

A lot of Championships run control tyres so you may want to ask that question before you go and splash out on something you can't race with.

The Michelin Clio is obviously Michelin but the French trophy are not fused, just looked at entry list for French trophy and VERY disappointing, 3 clios and 1 205gti
Anyone got any series suggestions as well

Weve got a set of uniroyal rainsport 2s on the 182 as wets after being recommended them by a mate who does a lot of trackdays in his R26, not had a chance to test them on track yet but looking at the weather forecast for next week we could well do soon...

£35 a corner as well in 15s for the 182...

I personally cannot rate the Toyo T1Rs for track use. I put a set on my old S1 Lotus Elise to replace the yoko advans and it was not very good at all. I found the sidewalls very soft in comparison when I did Donington Park. Not sure how other Toyos fair however. On the road they were ok.

I personally cannot rate the Toyo T1Rs for track use. I put a set on my old S1 Lotus Elise to replace the yoko advans and it was not very good at all. I found the sidewalls very soft in comparison when I did Donington Park. Not sure how other Toyos fair however. On the road they were ok.

T1R's are horrendous on track. Felt I had no grip using them on a wet track day.

Heard many good reviews for the R1R's though in the wet. So many that I've bought a set of them. Yet to try them out yet though.