Toyo R1R's

R1Rs are excellent as a halfway house and get even better with use. Running 595s now to compare.

T1rs are not upto the job really IMO.

Well had then fitted on Saturday finally! (Due to smashing my car) I can safely say any one that buys there will not be disappointed that are amazing piss all over the conti3 in every way, I will be buying them again

I run these on my track wheels. A back to back comparison on track with conti 3's I can say there is very little difference.

The R1-Rs are a bit 'wobbly' due to the large tread depth and soft compound.

They give up the ghost at about the same point, the conti's though can be manipulated more and it is easier to neutralise understeer with them (lift off or trailing) whereas because there is slightly higher rear grip with the R1-Rs it tends to understeer a bit more as the front grip isn't a big improvement between the two.

On the road I'd have the conti's every time as they are much nicer to drive on in the wet and quite a bit quieter. In the dry though in 'fast road' driving they do inspire a little more confidence as they make the car very stable even towards the limit. The conti's though give a nicer steering feel though and as said allow more manipulation.

Point to point on a b-road the R1-Rs would probably shade it but I'd have much more fun on the Conti's!

I hate the conti3s always feel like there away to go out from under you even on the last set I had with my last car I didn't like like them much preferred the falkens I had on my fiesta

Apologies to the Renault faithful but Contis are crap....

I've been saying this for years. They are a very over rated tyre. I've had the misfortune to have them fitted as OEM fitment on my last two cars and they were crap on both. Every other tyre I've tried has been better than the contis.

I think the standard contisports are very good, the best tyre I've used, so looking forward to wearing them out and replacing with ad08's :smile:

Crap compared to, let's say Potenza 050A..

Or the Potenza RE070 or Goodyear Eagle Asymetric or Pirelli P Zero Nero or Vredstein Ultrac (I think I was Ultrac) and that's just from personal experience.

On their own I suppose they fine. But in comparison they lack grip in the wet, dry and with some mentioned above also in the snow. They really cant cope with any track work of any great extent either.

I'm also not a fan of the Conti tyres,

They shred and melt after short track sessions making the sidewalls basically non existent. Then again it's not a track focused tyre so i don't see why it should be compared to one...

They are just a bog standard overpriced tyre. Compare it with a competitively priced AD08 or a 595RSR and you'll see how the Yokohama's and Fedrals are in a different league.

I'd even go so far as saying that the braking and handling characteristics of the 595 is much better in the wet than the Conti's.

Renault only chose the continental because at the time that's who supplied all their tyres so they chose the best that was available to them and not the best tyre for the car.

Funnily enough at how fast last year, whilst we were all queuing to go out for our sighting lap I was chatting to one of the instructors. He pointed to one of the cars wearing contis, let out a little chuckle and said "he's gonna struggle on those tyres"

Last edited: