Too old for a 197?

Im my experience you know when your too old for a car when you either get sick of it being too slow or get sick of it being unrealiable.

Hence why i sold my Astra VXR due to it being unreliable and my Fiesta ST150 for it being too slow.

The Clio 197/200 are the perfect combination of power/economy and 200 bhp is probably about right for fast road driving in the actual real world!
all my views of course but what do I know im only 29 :smile:

To be fair, the 197 has its flaws, as with other cars. But it makes up for them with its excitement.

Yeh I've been in an ST150 and it wasn't particularly thrilling.

Last edited:
the lack of 6th gear killed it along with the non adjustable driving position it was Way Way too high! the clios is very adjustable

the ST150 lasted 3 months....

Im 49 & been competing in my 200 for 3 years & competing in motorsport for 15 years.
Ive always had performance cars since I was 16 & that will never change.
I also work in the performance car industry.
A friends dad has a highly modified Evo 9 & he is 70.
The way I see it is yes I could give up on performance cars & buy a Camry or SUV or some other bland crap, but im not a boring 'me too' type of person & certainly not the type to do something just because everybody else does.
To the average person a car is just an appliance for getting from A to B thus any piece of crap will do.
To a true enthusiast such as myself a car is way more than that, it's my hobby, my sport, my passion, its part of my life & who I am.
My missus wouldn't even consider questioning my car choice as she knows its my passion, in fact she comes to most the race meetings & enjoys it too, as does my 16 year old daughter. If your woman asks you to give that up then you've definitely got the wrong woman imo.
If you were a hardcore car guy you wouldn't even question yourself so i'd say sell up & go back to the boring VW/Bimmer like everyone else has, or simply tell your mates to go **** themselves, live your own life & stop worrying about what other people think.

Agree with Steve11.

I've just bought a 200 cup pack . I'm 47 and now like a excited 9 yr old waiting for the weekend to arrive!!. Fortunately for me divorced and so I can do what the bloody hell I like.....its great! Hence now the start of my collection of toys and tinkering in the garage!!.
The reason people start to slate you is that they use your chioce of toy! to cover a underlying jeasouley in that you have financial flexibility/understanding partner to pick & choose and direct the life you want!

Well I'm a 54 year old recycled teenage girlie and I love my cars and also my Ducati 620 Monster and 600 supersport. As I said, there is more to age than years, and some people are old at 20 and others prefer to grow old disgracefully! Your choice.......
Lol....where were you ....when I was on plenty of fish ?
A petrol head and a biker ...heaven

I was 39 when I bought the Clio, never thought I was too old at all. There's always someone younger and always someone older when you go to meets. [MENTION=36]Roy[/MENTION] still has his 197 and he went to school with God. :wink:

Obviously as I've got older since buying the Clio I have realised I needed something more practical and sensible that befits my age, hence the move to a Lotus.

I was 39 when I bought the Clio, never thought I was too old at all. There's always someone younger and always someone older when you go to meets. @Roy still has his 197 and he went to school with God. :wink:

Obviously as I've got older since buying the Clio I have realised I needed something more practical and sensible that befits my age, hence the move to a Lotus.
well said :thumbup:
and it also answered the question...

I was 39 when I bought the Clio, never thought I was too old at all. There's always someone younger and always someone older when you go to meets. @Roy still has his 197 and he went to school with God. :wink:

haha brilliant!