To Cup, or not to Cup..............

There's a load of banter going round at the moment taking over other threads about cup Vs ff - which is the better etc. etc.

Rather than take over other threads thought I'd start one for people to vent their opinions here.

So feel free below to procrastinate to your hearts content.

I'll start;

I bought my cup as I was in the Market for a 197 and saw it on pistonheads and got it for $9000 cash on the nose (a good grand less than I could find any others advertised for at the time).

It's also only a weekend weapon / track toy and so I need no gadgetery, the only extra I wanted was AC which it has.

Also think the anthracite raiders are 200% nicer and even like the way the rubber strips match the brake vents.

In summary I got a cup as it was exactly what I wanted - had no gadgets that I wouldn't use, perfect suspension set up for my liking, nice wide track, has stunning red brembo's and looks meaner than Mike Tyson chewing a wasp.

Last edited:
FF as I wanted the toys but now its getting stripped out and made into an ultimate VXR eater

I picked FF because I will be doing 12k a year business miles minimum, couldn't cope without air con again and I dont like the interior on the cup.

bought mine ff not knowing WTF i was buying
never had a reno before but glad i did as it is used for every day use
now by the wife. not a track or w/end toy to old lol

I would have a cup, didn't really have my heart set out on either a cup or ff, anything was an upgrade from a 106!!

i went cup, i drove an ff and a cup and preferred the cup :smile: plus got the guy to take my skoda in part x....lol

It's also only a weekend weapon / track toy and so I need no gadgetery, the only extra I wanted was AC which it has.

Also think the anthracite raiders are 200% nicer and even like the way the rubber strips match the brake vents.

In summary I got a cup as it was exactly what I wanted - had no gadgets that I wouldn't use, perfect suspension set up for my liking, nice wide track, has stunning red brembo's and looks meaner than Mike Tyson chewing a wasp.

I would struggle to put it better myself, the only thing I would add is that it was alot cheap. Also I specked mine with AC which I am glad I did!

I'm getting a bog standard 197 as it will be on coil overs within a week of purchase anyway so the cup chassis makes no difference to Me

I have the FF one as it for sale 20miles from my house and got it for a great price, It's just a weekend toy as i have a works van and the mrs car to drive, Never drove a cup so can't comment on them, I also perfer the look of the front end of the 197 to the new 200,

I went FF;

1; The car is stunning and I got a great deal...

2; For the immediate future it's our only car so I didn't want it to be too stiff with a baby on the way.

3; My idea is that once the missus starts driving and has her own car, I can go for stiffer springs or coilovers if I want to.

There's a load of banter going round at the moment taking over other threads about cup Vs ff - which is the better etc. etc.

Rather than take over other threads thought I'd start one for people to vent their opinions here.

So feel free below to procrastinate to your hearts content.

I'll start;

I bought my cup as I was in the Market for a 197 and saw it on pistonheads and got it for $9000 cash on the nose (a good grand less than I could find any others advertised for at the time).

Hate this term FF, that was a CS reference to a 182 with all the trimmings/extras, (cup packed ie full fat.............) somehow its been lost in translation!!

Anyway the 197 and Cup share the same track, as do the 200's there's no difference there. I've had both, had a standard 197 for 18 months and loved it. Was lowered on H&R coilovers though. Now got a 197 Cup and love it also, there not *that* much difference between them imo.