To buy or not to buy

Been seriously considering buying a clio 197. I currently drive a wee 1.2 clio, and want something a bit more fun. All opinions are welcome, and anyone who's had/has one, please help me out!!
Cheers!

I'd hope most people on the forum would recommend a 197 :tongueout:.

What all would you like to know? :smile:

Safe to say a 197 will be an incredible upgrade over the 1.2

Just keep in mind the extra running costs - Tax, Insurance, Fuel, Parts

.....it's all worth it though, IMO. Fantastic fun to take on a proper drive.

I'd hope most people on the forum would recommend a 197 :tongueout:.

What all would you like to know? :smile:

Yeah I didn't really think that through did I haha but just really how the car is to live with etc. I don't do a lot of miles or long distance travelling (not often anyway) so it would mostly be around town and of course B roads. I test drove a Cup and to be honest it didn't feel very quick, however I'd rather go with one with cruise control, A/C etc

Safe to say a 197 will be an incredible upgrade over the 1.2

Just keep in mind the extra running costs - Tax, Insurance, Fuel, Parts

.....it's all worth it though, IMO. Fantastic fun to take on a proper drive.

What sort of mpg would I be expecting for short town journeys? And my current clio hasn't been the most reliable so parts/repairs will be cheaper...I hope

Don't buy....

It will without a doubt be the worst decision you'll ever make. It will make you fall in love with it and make you spend allllll of your money on it.

Probably best not to if you're worried about mpg. These cars hate fuel. Every time you put some in, it just spits it out. Just to give you a figure, my magic number is around 24mpg.

Probably best not to if you're worried about mpg. These cars hate fuel. Every time you put some in, it just spits it out. Just to give you a figure, my magic number is around 24mpg.

Im not too fussed about mpg, just don't want ridiculous numbers if I'm only driving short distances. How do you drive yours lol....

Over short distances (my commute is 5 miles each way, with an added stop at the gym on the route home) I get about 25mpg with "normal" driving. Up shift around 2.5-3K RPM and give it the occasional boot. A longer Motorway run at 70 should see you around 35mpg.

If you're averaging out to less than 25 on a day-to-day basis, i'd assume you're driving it fairly hard, or spend plenty of time sitting in traffic.

in my opinion I would go head-to for 197/200 is a completely different from yours car and not really an exaggerated economic change your current clio, honestly it is a car that quality / price is the best and above maintenance low cost! do not hesitate and for it!

24 omg that is terrible you must thrash it everywhere. I am getting an average of 29mpg and thats putting my foot down on back roads.

That's about the only major negative, I get better mpg in my Megane running 300+hp, I mean at the end of the day it IS french but they aren't as bad as they once were a few of the electronics are Bosch bits and better put together in general and while there's a bit of electrical tape here and there I've not heard of electrical issues on the Clio.

The ride can be a bit harsh depending on spec.

Great cars otherwise.

get it but as mentioned above..it will cost you a lot if you start upgrading it...i get 17.9 mpg in town...
but you will look forward to driving it every day....

I've had mine only 2 months and absolutely love it, came from an economical 1.9 diesel and tbh, if you're only doing short journeys who cares, even if it gets half the mpg over 5/10 miles, is it really going to break the bank?! I have a 36-mile round trip commute on a mixture of nice steady B roads and what should be classed as C roads, steady 60/70 most the way sees around 33mpg! The car is quick in a straight line but the most impressive thing I found was how well this car corners, incredible! Must be one of the best FWD handling cars out here if you ask me, will always put a smile on your face if your confident enough to enjoy it! Parts are are expensive especially compared to a 1.2