Time for new calipers?

Do not wind the rear calipers back like your tightening a big nut it splits the mechanism inside for the handbrake adjustment and before you start make sure the boot has not got stuck on the piston and will rip and twist as you wind the piston back.

That's a great tip regarding the boot.. will make sure that isn't clinging on to the piston before I start, also hear a squirt of brake cleaner under the boot can help if its sticking.

I'm a bit confused about the first bit though mate, isn't the whole idea of the rewind tool to turn it (clockwise) whilst applying pressure, which in essence would be like tightening a big nut? Keen to hear more about that as the last thing I want to do is f**k my handbrake!

I bought one of these tools that a fair few others have apparently used with success.

s-l1600.jpg

the double ended sealey tool is what I bought then drive end can be reversed for different pin spacing the push back plate can be difficult to seat as it does not sit snug were the bake pad normally locates. Also taking the rear wheels off and on make sure they don't drop as the rigid brake line into the caliper can be bent and kinked which can have a big effect on breaking performance and balance. Don't be tempted to bend it straight as it can sheer or split and your stuck with a car you cant drive I think the rigid pipes are about £30 each side.
1619023562472.png
1619023594705.png

Reactions: Bomster
That's a great tip regarding the boot.. will make sure that isn't clinging on to the piston before I start, also hear a squirt of brake cleaner under the boot can help if its sticking.

I'm a bit confused about the first bit though mate, isn't the whole idea of the rewind tool to turn it (clockwise) whilst applying pressure, which in essence would be like tightening a big nut? Keen to hear more about that as the last thing I want to do is f**k my handbrake!

I bought one of these tools that a fair few others have apparently used with success.

View attachment 145314

I've had a similar kit for about 8 years, done mine and many, many other cars works fine.