The ULTIMATE Track Day Tyre Test! (2021) - Dunlop, MRF, Nankang, Pirelli, Yokohama, Zestino!

Glad there’s finally a comparison with some figures.
I was real surprised to see the AR1 slower than the MRF.

From a cost to durability point of view, I think it’s pretty evident that the MRF is by far the best tyre.

Reactions: LiamP
Glad there’s finally a comparison with some figures.
I was real surprised to see the AR1 slower than the MRF.

From a cost to durability point of view, I think it’s pretty evident that the MRF is by far the best tyre.

Yeah he mentions that the track was getting quicker and maybe back to back AR1 would get it but based on durability no brainer, looking forward to trying them myself!

Reactions: RSRowe
Always said the MRF are the best £ for £ and did expect them to be as quick if not quicker than AR1

Even better when you could get part worns from civic cup for £150 a set

Good watch though and I don’t think there are any surprises.

I paid 450 for my AR1’s and the mrf are 620. Think I’m happy with the AR1’s. I was expecting the MRF to be way in front of AR1 considering the noise on the web about them. They’ve done well Tegiwa setting up that test. Still not definitive though.

Good to see someone do a comparison, but there are sooo many variables you just cannot test for evenly. I was going to go for AR1s next on the E36, value for money, size availability etc is right for me.

Reactions: Beany
AR1 certainly felt a lot faster when I used them and I can echo what he said about them turning on straight away.
By turn 2 at Anglesey they were just switched on a ready to go. Compared to the Kumho V70a’s I was running before, the turn in was mental, and you could run a much tighter line.

What I didn’t enjoy about them is how finicky they are to pressure, and how quickly they wear. 2 days and they were ruined.
This is why me and the boys have had to settle on the possibly slower MRF. Already done double the amount of days on them and they look barely touched.

Reactions: R20BTG and Big Ben
AR1 certainly felt a lot faster when I used them and I can echo what he said about them turning on straight away.
By turn 2 at Anglesey they were just switched on a ready to go. Compared to the Kumho V70a’s I was running before, the turn in was mental, and you could run a much tighter line.

What I didn’t enjoy about them is how finicky they are to pressure, and how quickly they wear. 2 days and they were ruined.
This is why me and the boys have had to settle on the possibly slower MRF. Already done double the amount of days on them and they look barely touched.
Another variable is driving styles. You and the boys knock the living shit out your baguettes whereas I’m more an elbow out the window whilst listening to radio 2 kinda guy!
My AR1’s holding up really well as a consequence. Will try MRF though as I love to compare. Direzzas I’ve had and they were awesome but mega dear and won’t go back

• Haha
Reactions: RSRowe and suj
Another variable is driving styles. You and the boys knock the living shit out your baguettes whereas I’m more an elbow out the window whilst listening to radio 2 kinda guy!
My AR1’s holding up really well as a consequence. Will try MRF though as I love to compare. Direzzas I’ve had and they were awesome but mega dear and won’t go back

Also the DZ03G are no longer road legal too.

When it comes to the MRF, it'd be interesting to see if they were running the hard or medium compound.

Can't say I was too surprised to see the Dunlop was the fastest of them all, it's highly rated everywhere and may be worth a purchase when I kill the MRFs!

Are you sitting comfortably?
There have been numerous test tyres that have got into the wild but as far as the wider public is concerned the compound was H1, which for arguments sake I will call hard, even though it was not. Some of these tyres were marked Super Hard, but only because the manufacture considered it to be against their F3 tyres they make which last about an hour on a car weighing FA.
All 215 45 17 tyres are now in the faster M compound unless you either race in of have obtained tyres from the Tegiwa Type R Trophy where they still use the original H1 Civic Cup tyre.
The tyre in the test by Tegiwa was the M tyre. If you buy 215 45 17 from me you will receive M tyres. M is now the default compound.
All that said, H1 is not a slow tyre. The Green Snot Mazda at Snetterton was on H1 tyres, they just take a bit longer to bring on.

I thought that was a very good test and I see no bias in it, unlike what some people are saying on Social Media. There are also, surprise, surprise a number of people commenting that have blatantly not even watched the video. It is very hard, even for the very best drivers out there to comment on a tyres comparative attributes beyond the last tyre they tested. By that I mean they can comment on tyre 2 against tyre 1, but by tyre 3, they struggle to comment 3 against 1 and so all the comments about the tyre feels good are about how they feel on the tyre they are on and not against the rest of the tyres.

I have done similar tests before but for our own in house knowledge and development as a representative of a manufacturer it is not right for me to publish any findings. Also I have never driven on a Troffeo but given that at Spa in 2019 I changed one guys Pirelli's over 30 times as he tried to get the set up and sizing right for his Cayman then I would suggest that the video is again right in that they can be difficult.

Obviously it is pleasing to see that the narrower ZTR was still faster than the wider AR1, which to be honest, I already knew and also expected the Dunlop to be faster, again, especially since it is wider. For the Clio I believe you do have to be careful on width, so not aware how a 225 tyre would potentially rub on the car. One of the main complaints from racing on the Dunlop is that they take the shoulders out quickly. Obviously tyres can be rotated on rims to get more life but extra effort. Wear in the big tread void on AR1 is also a common topic on Face Book.

I have no experience of the AD08RS, I expect it is a wholly decent tyre and very good for day to day driving and track use. I have personally run NS-2R as a road tyre on a MX-5 and had no great issues, although I preferred the RS-R . It was acceptable in the wet for this type of tyre, but in no way would I consider it, or any of these tyres able to perform as a wet tyre against a decent road tyre. That said, smashing through deep back road puddles at 90 on any tyre is likely to increase your underwear cleaning bill. The main issue I had with NS-2R is the amount it shrieked even on the road which could make you look like you were trying too hard even when you weren't trying, and that it is not a tyre that heat cycles well.

What can't be determined by that test is consistency and wear. I was there on that day testing for the Club Enduro event and most sessions had a red flags at some point so even getting 15 consistent minutes was hard shown in the video by the low number of laps when comments were being made. I would very much expect the UHP tyres to lose pace quite rapidly after 4 laps as heat built up in the tyre and wear rates to increase. I am not going to comment on the race tyres as again, it would not be right other to say I would expect the ZTR to remain consistent over 20 minutes and not to suffer undue wear.

So, as the video says, all these tyres have their place, it is just down to what you are after. What I would say is as it is a value for money type test that the UHP tyres allow for more road driving but will be slower on track, however the lower price is the benefit. If you don't intend to go on track however, I would fit a good road tyre ahead of these as even these tyres need temperature to be at their best.
Of the track / race tyres I personally would say that the additional cost of the ZTR will pay back in life over the AR1 by more than the price difference and it is already faster. The Dunlop costs more, but will give a faster lap time, which some will value but to get the most life you will need to spin the tyres on the rims. Plus you risk points if you drive on the road, or worse if you are involved in a road incident. The Pirelli would be hard to justify the additional cost and I would expect would be far more suited to your Porsche.

Yeah he mentions that the track was getting quicker and maybe back to back AR1 would get it but based on durability no brainer, looking forward to trying them myself!
Apart from the MRF was the second tyre out in the morning and the AR1 was tested after lunch.

Reactions: LiamP
For that matter the Dunlop was tested last and it was pretty slippy in the morning when we got to go out at 9:35

Having seen how close all the semi slick tyres are in that test, for me it’ll boil down to what has the best deal on at the time the next time I’m in the market for new rubber. That guy was a proven race driver managing to get all 3 semis to within half a second of one another per lap.
I don’t posses that ability level and I don’t race my car. Trackdays very rarely throw up clear laps anyway and without timing the only sense of pace you get is the old fashioned seat of your pants and whether the car has enough grip so it don’t kill you. All of them clearly have enough of that to make a fun day of it. I’ll certainly be less of a snob about brands moving forward. Clearly there’s a place for all of them