The Ring!

I'm thinking about going to the Nurburgring next year in the 200 Cup. A few questions.

I live in the North East ( Marske near Middlesbrough ) taking into account where I live would driving to Hull and getting an over night ferry down be easier/ cheeper than driving down south and getting the train/ ferry?

Cost, am looking at staying two possibly three nights and taking the car for a few goes round The Ring could any of you that have been before give me a rough idea as to how much this could cost.

Finally apart from the circuit what else is there to do around and about, will be going with the GF so shops sightseeing etc....

Cheers. Hodge

whatelse do you need

drive there eat and drink wake up ring all day driving spectate and take pics eat drink sleep and repeat . :lol:

love that pplace were going again next year and including two days at spa with circuit days

What are you hoping to get out of it?

There is typically lots of spectating to do if you are so inclined, not so much to do if you aren't.

IMO you are probably better just doing a track day in the UK instead. Much safer, better organised, and more enjoyable. Granted less of an adventure though.

have to agree with the above unless you pockets are deep then id stay away mate came back with a 7k bill recently for a little off there .

soon adds up .

+ no crazy german locals risking your life and theres :smile:

Get rid of the idea of taking the GF for starters, unless shes REALLY into cars i wouldnt risk her dampening the mood. Its a petrol head only type of place!

I took my wife to Trier for her birthday some years ago (probably 2004), came back via the 'ring, still haven't heard the end of it!

It is a petrolheads dream.

If your into your cars, there is plenty to see and do. Although pretty dead, the Ringwerks is worth checking out. As is the museum there.

There is the old castle, tobogan run a few miles out for a bit of fun.

Adenau the local town is pretty small, with little to see.

But to be fair, as its your first trip, there is plenty to discover for a few days.

As mentioned, if you g/f really has no interest in cars, then you may struggle to keep her amused.

As for 'dont bother, its expensive'.... totally ignore that. you could say the same about a million things.

just to a bit of research. Read a few 'first timers' guides and just go enjoy. Just make sure you check it is open for the time your over there.

And for reference, this is me in my 200 earlier this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQzlQmFZS1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuzMG0Sdw1U

It is a petrolheads dream.

If your into your cars, there is plenty to see and do. Although pretty dead, the Ringwerks is worth checking out. As is the museum there.

There is the old castle, tobogan run a few miles out for a bit of fun.

Adenau the local town is pretty small, with little to see.

But to be fair, as its your first trip, there is plenty to discover for a few days.

As mentioned, if you g/f really has no interest in cars, then you may struggle to keep her amused.

As for 'dont bother, its expensive'.... totally ignore that. you could say the same about a million things.

just to a bit of research. Read a few 'first timers' guides and just go enjoy. Just make sure you check it is open for the time your over there.

And for reference, this is me in my 200 earlier this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQzlQmFZS1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuzMG0Sdw1U

2nd video is banned for some reason? Also, the first one would be sooooooooooo much better without the shockin music. :bored:

strange. both vids work fine, and both say are public.

As for music, well.... can always mute it :smiley:

Edit: seems there is some copyright BS with some of the tunes! I best get editing!

Last edited:
i'm from boro n have been to ring good few times now (3 trips this year - 2 via dover and one on the party boat), easier doing the hull ferry (party boat) but costs a little more, but in 14 hours you could leave home and get to the ring but the drive does take it out of you.
might be worth takin the gf to brugge on the way to the ring for shops and scenery, plus the chocolate n coffee mmmmmmmm
koblenz is fairly big, its only an hour n quarter drive out from the ring.
bigger than adenau town is cochem half hour drive from ring, nice food places and nice area, all the drives out are on amazing roads puts such a downer on uk roads, even the helmsley road just isnt quite as good lol

I've been to the ring around 15 times now, i'd assume by the fact your on here your a petrol head, you'l love it and want to go back again.

It is expensive, no doubt about that but well worth it.

I live about 50 minutes from hull but have never tried that boat, a couple of friends have and they enjoyed the shorter drive.

I worked out the costs to see if it was loads cheaper to get the party boat and it roughly worked out about £50 more to catch the hull ferry.

I live south of hull, about 60 miles away and about 230 from dover so i'd save over a tank of petrol doing the hull trip but the dover-dunquerk ferry can cost as little as £35 for a return trip (but normally around £60) wereas the hull ferry is around £230 but you have two nights bed covered, two extra nights in an hotel in germany and i'd be getting closer to the hull price.

There is more to the area than just the ring, plenty of other stuff to do and a mate of ours this year took his missus and two young kids and no one complained, they had a great time.

The roads are great, the food is great, the locals are friendly and it's a great place to be for a petrolhead.

You should all try it.

Hi, I've been to the ring on numerous occasions. Earlier this year, I took 3 friends and we stopped in a great hotel for three nights - bed and breakfast. It cost £160 pp including ferry travel. I think we spent around £170 pp on fuel but we were on motorbikes! Last year I took my wife in our 200 Cup and we had one day in Monshau - this was a pretty little village, great drive and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots to see and do.

I try and go every year, absolutely love the place. Petrol heads dream providing you go at the right time of year. Avoid bank holidays and big event weekends. Most the big manufacturers have got bases fairly close to the 'Ring now. There is plenty to do and see locally. As mentioned Cochem is absolutely lovely.

6012776832_e690eda228_b.jpg
Mosel River @ Cochem by LukeDeakin, on Flickr

Dont go on the Nordschleiffe in the wet, dont drive like a nob, dont time your laps, dont try and impress your mates. You will be fine. Check your mirrors, keep out the way of fast Porsches.

Keep the Nordschleiffe emergency number in your phone. If you leave the track for any reason, or spread mud on the track. Pull over, call the number. Same goes if you dump any coolant. Same goes if you drop any oil. Same if you hit a barrier, or worst case scenario another car or biker.

You are responsible for any mess you make. If you dont, expect to have a stern talking to by the marshalls when you leave the track. Possibly leading in a ban for the rest of the day, or the rest of your holiday.

Some pics from my latest trip there back in August:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjvL1zwo