Tailgate Rust

Not good, deadmau5. It'll take a couple months to go through, but it's worth it getting sorted. Speaking of which:

085cee56154053daa4b81874598768bc_zpsbea69196.jpg

Looks great. Very impressed with the results, not so impressed that my average MPG is much lower than when it went in....it's a pity I didn't write down the mileage!

Yeah, I may as well get the ball rolling.

Not good about the MPG :/. You should have a word with them about that. Approximately how much lower was it? They'd have a job getting my MPG to be lower than it already is :thumbup1:

Yeah, I may as well get the ball rolling.

Not good about the MPG :/. You should have a word with them about that. Approximately how much lower was it? They'd have a job getting my MPG to be lower than it already is :thumbup1:

I'd normally write it off, thinking the car has been sat with its engine running. But it would take an hour or so for the MPG to creep down from 27 to 26.1 considering it's been averaging for a thousand miles now....

To make matters worse, I'm 100% confident I didn't leave it with the red fuel light on! (Close, but definitely not on!)

Yeah that is quite a lot of a decrease tbh. You should maybe tell West's Renault or whatever they're called, they will probably have more power over them!

It's a known issue I believe. Screen not fitted quite correctly to the panel and the lowest point of the glass rubs the paintwork.

Mine was the same but it never got noticeable enough for me to bother claiming. And quite frankly by that stage I was sick of claiming and having to deal with the local dealerships who I woulnd't have trusted to repair it to better condition than it was in with the corrosion!

hi guys, I've got the same problem I'm afraid, how should I approach it? Can I just go to Renault and tell them to get the finger out? Does anybody know how they treat it? They don't respray the whole tailgate do they?

Thanks

do you have to have owned the car from new to be able to claim on something like this ??ive noticed something very minor in the same area when washing it , but would rather catch it before it gets any worse?

Phone up your Renault dealer and describe the problem to them. They should ask you to come in to get it inspected, do so and reiterate that you think it's because the window glass was fitted incorrectly. If they suggest that the glass had been replaced previously, deny deny deny - you don't have to prove that it wasn't, they have to prove that it was.

Provided that's been done successfully Renault UK will get in touch, offering to replace the tailgate or use an approved body shop to repair the rust (full tailgate respray).

I didn't notice the rust when I bought the car, but it was the first thing I sorted so don't worry about you not being the first owner. Also, the corrosion warranty is something like 12 years.

Last edited:
What happens if you try and fix it yourself and make a massive cock up? then read this thread and wish you had seen it sooner...:poke:

I don't blame you. (For omitting the photos)

I intercepted the receipt from the place where I had it repaired to Renault - it cost over £600.... Wow. Someone got ripped off!

ChipsAway are fairly affordable for this kind of thing, however.