Tailgate Rust & Perforation Warranty

You're right, the bottom/central edge of rear windscreen is much closer to the tailgate panel than the rest. :grimacing:

There is a small amount of green mould growing at that point behind the window due to standing water but no rust (yet) so will try to maintain it myself with anti-corrosive spray and wax. I'll also remove the tailgate interior trim to have a closer look at some point and treat the area internally.

I'm having the front windscreen replaced soon so will ask an opinion on lifting the rear screen. I'm also going to try and have the radiator subframe replaced under warranty as the edges are rusting, so will comment on the rear screen dropping and see what the Renault workshop knows about a fix.

Agree completely that in general this area would benefit from a bit of attention with cleaning and waxing, it will certainly help.

Reactions: Rishi
It's probably a good idea to protect a few areas where water sits, like the bottom of the rear windows, roof drains and the front and rear wheel arches.

I had my windscreen replaced today as it was cracked, not an MOT failure but needed doing and figure now was the time as also had the rear window refitted, two birds with one stone. There were some small spots of rust underneath the top of the windscreen so another place that needs looking after.

I think I may have caught the rear window just in time, the glass had been rubbing on the panel yet thankfully no rust. They remove the window with a wire they run from the bottom of the glass, which means if there's no gap some paint will be removed in the process.

Here's a before/after of the window touching the panel in the centre of the tailgate:

20181030_133635.png

The window after removing/refitting and touching up the paintwork:

after window rear.jpg

I removed the tailgate trim to check the condition and it all seems tip top, no signs of corrosion and gave it a nice misting of atom-mac in the cavities to hopefully keep it that way.

20181030_114354.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnyknox