Super Charger

Garysp2

Paid Member
So who's running one? ( supercharger that is)
what kits you running and what's it like...............Pros & cons..............
Any one local to Preston with one that i can come and have a nose over?

I’m in Solihull so not local but you’re welcome to have a nose.

I don’t run a “kit”. I bought every part separately and had some made bespoke. I’ve had a few teething problems along the way but she runs sweetly now and I’ve just taken her to Croft and kicked her head in - loved it.

Pros - power, keeps the NA character of the car, no need to swap out the engine

Cons - it’s more costly than going the Megane route (much more costly)

cheers for that, can't make my mind up,
megane conversion, loads of people have done this, tried and tested, mate of mine has one, but maybe too common
or supercharge, love the sound of a supercharger, ready made kits available now, something different !

Pound for pound the meg conversion will be quicker because of the extra torque. Coin flip really though

Reactions: Garysp2
cheers for that, can't make my mind up,
megane conversion, loads of people have done this, tried and tested, mate of mine has one, but maybe too common
or supercharge, love the sound of a supercharger, ready made kits available now, something different !
The Rotrex centrifugal chargers don’t whine like a roots type so you won’t get the same sort of sound as a Mini unfortunately.

The Supreme kit is in my opinion a better kit than the KTEC with it’s bigger intercooler, smaller charge route and aluminium header tank. The more you can cool these cars the better (Megane included).

You could source all the needed parts separately and maybe see a saving of you find a bargain charger. There’s really not much to it.

If you would to take the supercharger route, I recommend engine health check prior to that especially if it has a high mileage. I strongly recommend to consider lower cambelt protection cover (Pure Motorsports) in case crank pulley fails, it won't get stuck in the cambelt and jump the cam timing! (we had a case here). Last, for peace of mine consider forge engine build to begin with. such force induction will stress stock engine so bad especially going all out!

Cooling element as @PITA stated is very essential for such builds. I took Meg Conversion route for my Clio where custom shrouds (deleting AC) enhanced heat management so drastically (15-20 degrees C). That encouraged me to apply similar custom shrouds to my Megane 2RS as well where i retained AC and shift the Intercooler, and AC condenser mounts just to improved air flow into the radiator, and almost similar heat range drop was achieved :smile:.

Reactions: bedoef and Big Ben
The Rotrex centrifugal chargers don’t whine like a roots type so you won’t get the same sort of sound as a Mini unfortunately.

The Supreme kit is in my opinion a better kit than the KTEC with it’s bigger intercooler, smaller charge route and aluminium header tank. The more you can cool these cars the better (Megane included).

You could source all the needed parts separately and maybe see a saving of you find a bargain charger. There’s really not much to it.

cheers PITA, prefer the look and quality of the supreme one, and being a complete kit it makes things a lot easier to do.
more research to do.................:smile:

If you would to take the supercharger route, I recommend engine health check prior to that especially if it has a high mileage. I strongly recommend to consider lower cambelt protection cover (Pure Motorsports) in case crank pulley fails, it won't get stuck in the cambelt and jump the cam timing! (we had a case here). Last, for peace of mine consider forge engine build to begin with. such force induction will stress stock engine so bad especially going all out!

Cooling element as @PITA stated is very essential for such builds. I took Meg Conversion route for my Clio where custom shrouds (deleting AC) enhanced heat management so drastically (15-20 degrees C). That encouraged me to apply similar custom shrouds to my Megane 2RS as well where i retained AC and shift the Intercooler, and AC condenser mounts just to improved air flow into the radiator, and almost similar heat range drop was achieved :smile:.

cheers for the reply
cars a track car only, so air con coming off, appreciate guidance on cooling, friend had a meglio and he's done a lot for the cooling
full engine strip down and check was planned either way i go.....................
just need to decide which route to take........

Decent Setup :hearteyes:. Mind if you can share some info about the ignition coils you are having there.
They’re Audi R8 ignition coils. I was having the spark blow out with the standard coils on the emu black ECU. The R8 coils are active as opposed to the OE coils which are passive. They produce a much stronger spark but with a much smaller dwell time. I also have them firing in full sequential whereas OE is wasted spark.

They’re a bit longer than the OE coils so require a spacer to seal them, Tom at Fulcrum has had some made.

E5EF2461-7A60-4C4E-888C-5F7DF784B5EB.jpeg
91F428EE-976F-4D70-BB6C-EAF1D4475C7E.jpeg

Similar Thread Suggestions