Sub wiring help

Not for a clio, it's for my friends little brother. (206)

But, is there a different between an oe remote cable (coming out back of the HU) and a standard rca cable. My friend had set everything up but the sub wasn't powering up.. So I came on over, though it was the ****ty grounding he'd done, it wasn't that. The wiring seems fine, but it just doesn't power up, tried it on two subs also. The only thing I can think it to be is the rca cable he's running to this 'oe remote cable' isn't right.

Any thoughts?

RCA connection has nothing to do with powering up, it's either faulty earth,main power lead from the battery or the remote turn on lead . The remote turn on from some standard head units can only be used for an aerial as it only powers up briefly to raise or lower the aerial when the radio is selected

Think on the standard peugeot unit it's a yellow wire you use to connect to the amp turn on.

Last edited:
For my 2 pennies worth id say that to run your amp you need:
-Power
-Ground
-RCA
-Connection from amp to sub
-Remote start up
from fitting them in other cars and other aftermarket stereo's there will be a little thin blue (maybe blue and white) cable that you have to run the same side of the car as the RCA that will basically 'wake up' your amp once the head unit is on and running.
So you should be connecting to the thin blue line out of the head unit and into the remote on the amp!
hope this helps!
:smile:

Yeah this os what I was getting at, the RCA running from the Hu to the sub tells the sub to turn off, as to not drain the battery. But i assumed that even without the rca cable the sub would have power.. There is no blue/blue and white cable, something to do with the loom halfrauds put it. Cheers for the input though.

rca doesnt turn the amp/sub on/off, the rca sends the signal (music) to the amp to be amplied, the amp requires 1. mains power (thick red cable from the cars battery) 2. ground (short black cable that goes to the metal work of the car) 3. remote cable (thin blue, blue/white cable that goes to a blue wire on the back of any aftermarket head unit, if using an oem head unit you connect it to the ignition live the back of the headunit).

the remote cable (thin blue) is what turns the amp on/off and is not the same a rca.

Ahh, my bad. Thought those terms were interchangeable. To the original post then, sounds as if we need to change where the remote is wired to on the HU. cheers ryan!

Similar Thread Suggestions