steering wheel removal

ryan197

POW right in the kisser
Platinum Member
how do you remove the steering wheel out of and FF197. i know that ive gota disconnect the battery but how does the the airbag come out?

any help would be great.

Putting an aftermarket steering wheel like an OMP, would ESP and ASR be disabled or will they still work? Thanks!

i fink they will still work, you would lose speed limiter ans cruise control

not got a clue mate, didnt know that esp asr had anything to do with the steering.

The abs ring is hidden deep within the steering rack so no worries there. As you have the steering wheel removed you'll notice an airbag ring which rotates with the wheel but it doesnt get in the way of the wheel boss.

ASR/TCS still works fine with aftermarket wheel.

remove the plastics around the steering column, you will see two holes at the back top and bottom, theres a hook in both with a metal loop from the airbag hooked on, you need to get a screw driver to unhook it of as well a pulling the airbag at the same time. you only need to do the one hook as the other just pulls off. then unplug the airbag, undo the torq screw and your done, oh and disconnect the battery 10-20 mins before you do it.

Really grateful for this, it helped me out this evening!

You really have to tug on the airbag, while lifting the metal clip on the back.

To disconnect the airbag, you need to pull out the clip on the back of each plug. This will make more sense when you see it!

Was quite a ballache to do in the end, much harder to get the retaining clips off than on the 182 airbag!

My 200 cup is now equipped with a proper RS 200 steering wheel though, SO much nicer to hold!