Steering making a racket..

Hi all,

so I've had my 197 for about 3 months, and loving it, however it only gets used about twice a week. The rest of the time it sits in a car port, so it is subject to the elements unfortunately.

Since the temperature has dropped recently i'm get a load of noise coming from the steering... (When i turn the wheel either way) it just sounds like a lot of squealing as if it needs lubrication, but i just want to know if anyone else suffers with this and if its anything that i need to worry about...?

Cheers

Same problem. Its quite annoying. I noticed that if u turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times the noise goes away. I'm not sure if the rack needs lubrication?

Same problem. Its quite annoying. I noticed that if u turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times the noise goes away. I'm not sure if the rack needs lubrication?

there is very little lubrication inside the rack - when i did my n/s steering arm i noticed theres nothing really in there as such due to the type of bushing used - but when i put the gaiter back on i did put some grease in...

if i were to guess id say get it on a lift. remove wheels, remove outer tie rods, remove inner tie rods and then grease

i would just remove the large steering gaiter retaining clips and put some grease/lubrication in the gaiters and rack - then fit new clips to the gaiters