Steering Column/UJ

g10far

Paid Member
Hi All
Just looking for some advice regarding the above.
I'm currently in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold, when I made a start I think I may have broke what looks to be a captive type nut/bolt that fixes the column to the rack. My question is has anyone experienced this before? If so do I need to replace the column section or can I just stick a nut on the end of the bolt when putting it all back together?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Hi All
Just looking for some advice regarding the above.
I'm currently in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold, when I made a start I think I may have broke what looks to be a captive type nut/bolt that fixes the column to the rack. My question is has anyone experienced this before? If so do I need to replace the column section or can I just stick a nut on the end of the bolt when putting it all back together?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
Has anything come out of the fitting or is it just that the captive nut hasn't popped back in to place? I did the same thing - try waggling it with a center punch.

Reactions: g10far
Yea the capture casing is just for convenience but the nut can go on without the cover it has a cam on it so as it's tightened it will lock in place as the cam comes up against the flat face of the steering rack. I think the torque is 32Nm don't go mad on it or you will pinch the metal sides making it very difficult to disconnect in the future the nut and bolt by the book needs replaced every time if the nut has pushed back into the housing get a longer bolt and get the thread started and use the grip of the threads to pull the cam nut across the flat face.

Reactions: g10far
do we know a good garage for steering faults bradford ...trying to post but cant post so trying a reply to get info sorry if wrong way to get info