Standard seats: Comfortable posture for tall people?

JB40k

Platinum Member
Afternoon all,

Does anybody use additional leg or lumbar support with the standard seats?

For a while now I've been conscience of poor posture whilst driving, after reading a few guides online I've come to the conclusion that the standard seats have nowhere near enough adjustment for my size and shape... The seat height and steering wheel height is fine for clearance and view, however the problem is with my legs and arms; my legs are too long to have the seat close enough to comfortably rest my wrists on the top of the steering wheel.

I've experimented with the seat being closer - Instant calf and ankle fatigue; and the seat being further away, which leaves me then having to lean forwards off the seat back when cornering, my lower back and shoulders suffer on longer journeys.

A quick Google search has brought back a few ideas, including the Sparco leg and lumbar support cushions, supposedly velcro backed for universal use. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience using them? Or has any advice to offer on better driving posture in general?

TL;DR - 6'2 skeleton seeks advice on better driving posture, ideally without resorting to Recaros.

There's a guy on here who makes reach adjusters for the steering wheel. It could be that because you have a cup and thus no adjustment in the steering wheel that this would make the difference. I'm 6 ft and have no issues finding a good driving position in my FF 200 even with the stupidly high Recaros.

Ahh, glad to see I'm not the only one then. It's only really been a recent problem with having to travel more motorway miles than usual... The 197 (albeit probably a FF now) I sat in at the dealers before ordering the cup was spot on! Thanks for the link, much appreciated!

How tall are you buddy?

I'm 6ft 3 in standards and I feel quite comfy..

Got me worried now.

Different people have different leg/arm/torso ratios though so one 6'2 person isn't necessarily the same as the next. I'm 6'2 and I know I wouldn't be comfy in a cup without the reach adjust on the column. Even in my FF I had to sit a bit bolt upright.

Where abouts on the steering column is the reach adjuster guys? I have a 197 lux model so assumed it would come as standard, can't find it anywhere!
Cheers

It's right underneath the cowl near the back I thinks it's a small "T" shaped handle which you pull in a downwards arc, you should find the hole it's in pretty easy :smile: [MENTION=50520]AJ68[/MENTION]

Im 6ft 4 and have long lets so couldn't getthe wheel out far enough once my legs were comfortable. My knees also touched the steering wheels if I set it to a comfortable height.

i spent some time and money get the driving position as good as possible and got a madeno seat frame which lowered my seat 40mm and bought an omp corsica steerin wheel which brought the wheel out 90mm

means I now have a lot more leg room and my arms aren't stretched but obviously I don't have an airbag any more

i have a spacer for the OEM steering wheel made by giacomo on here which I never fitted.

i got it for free so if someone wants it they can have it if the want.

Ta [MENTION=26798]Craig211[/MENTION], I knew about the t bar thing I thought there maybe a telescopic movement on it as well , cheers fella

Ta [MENTION=26798]Craig211[/MENTION], I knew about the t bar thing I thought there maybe a telescopic movement on it as well , cheers fella

Telescopic movement is on the same t bar thing maybe needs a bit of effort to move tho :smile:

ahh. i'll give it a go, if the steering wheel comes off in my hands i'll assume its not telescopic :wink: , am think NNWM that with the lux i should have that feature?

Sorted! Can't believe I've been driving around for 6 months with the s/wheel so far away! Cheers

[MENTION=3218]JB40k[/MENTION] the offer from [MENTION=1520]ken182[/MENTION] would be worth considering seriously.

Just picked this thread back up, [MENTION=1520]ken182[/MENTION] you've been PM'd!

Last edited: