stand alone ECU

Cars well on its way to being fixed (touch wood). Loads of late nights reading hundreds of threads. It seems most engine mods to date give little or limited gains. As previously said, I'm personally don't want to go too far but will look a couple of things that to me appear could be improved.

1. Matching inlets-quality is shocking and matching must have some improvement on engine performance. Easy Mod and quite cheap to do.
2. Air filter- no gain but won't need replacing again.
3. Exhaust- Small gain but for me it gives the car personality. The car looks very different but sounds far too standard.
4. In my opinion the most significant and most expensive in my list. Stand alone ECU. Maps out of the box for me are tooo much of a lottery. How many varibles are there from one car to another (build quality, servicing, driving style, mileage, climate, mods)????? and a single map suppose to cover this? This is why the results are so variable.
Custom maps are great but standard ECU doesn't allow for enough tunability.

Got 2 out of the 4. I am fortunate to have a friend who's a wizard auto electrican and has done many ecu's so that will keep the price down.

First need to put car back together.....

Last edited:
What is wrong with a customised rolling road remap? Surely a standalone ECU is only necessary if you are modifying the engine outside the parameters of the standard ECU (ECU, not map)?

. . . . I know u have a had alot of experience with cars litchy. but honestly a ECU will cause u far more problems than it does good. unless its heavily modified it really doesnt need it. trust me i know VVVV