Stand Alone ECU - Best options

krash67

Gold Member
Looking to those who have fitted a stand alone ECU, started the hunt. Looking for one that is easily supported, user friendly. Has options to accommodate later engine changes/upgrades (TB or supercharging). As well what rolling roads have knowledge and experience of mapping.
Just trying to gain people thoughts, recommendations, issues etc.

I'd like to know what sort of BHP gain would be accommodated by getting rid of the 1970 renault ecu that can't even cope with any sort of change.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Well traditional logic with a standalone is you buy what you local and preferred mapper uses. I'm not sure you'll get recommendations here as other than myself not sure who's using a standalone?

Also what you looking for? You're building a dedicated track car arn't you? In which case are you thinking to ditch all the ****ty Renault OEM junk and UCH etc then run new dials like some Stack? Or, are you planning on retaining full functionality via integrated CANbus etc? If so, then other than SC there isn't an integrated ECU with the CAN coding on the market yet. It's a decent ECU the Delta 800 used in the Clio application. But I can't recommend their mapping, looked at my map the other day and running up to 51 degrees ignition timing at part throttle at high rpm, that whole area of timing is bonkers and on a high compression build, no wonder chunks of my pistons are MIA! :@

Kazumz, tbh the problem with the Renault ECU is it's too clever like most recent OEM ECU's. You couldn't better it in a standalone in terms of running an engine for a multitude of environments and fuels etc, but the problem is if you tinker beyond the realms of normal then the adaptation tables generated in closed loop are applied globally as a % in open loop. You wouldn't gain anything on a stockish engine with a standalone vs a good map like RST for example. It's only really needed when you have cams with enough overlap to cause an unstable MAP signal, and therefore need to switch over to an ECU capable of running TPS as primary load. Of course having TPS (and proper MAP) allows ITB's or decent boost management also - again well beyond stock.

Well traditional logic with a standalone is you buy what you local and preferred mapper uses. I'm not sure you'll get recommendations here as other than myself not sure who's using a standalone?

Also what you looking for? You're building a dedicated track car arn't you? In which case are you thinking to ditch all the ****ty Renault OEM junk and UCH etc then run new dials like some Stack? Or, are you planning on retaining full functionality via integrated CANbus etc? If so, then other than SC there isn't an integrated ECU with the CAN coding on the market yet. It's a decent ECU the Delta 800 used in the Clio application. But I can't recommend their mapping, looked at my map the other day and running up to 51 degrees ignition timing at part throttle at high rpm, that whole area of timing is bonkers and on a high compression build, no wonder chunks of my pistons are MIA! :@

Kazumz, tbh the problem with the Renault ECU is it's too clever like most recent OEM ECU's. You couldn't better it in a standalone in terms of running an engine for a multitude of environments and fuels etc, but the problem is if you tinker beyond the realms of normal then the adaptation tables generated in closed loop are applied globally as a % in open loop. You wouldn't gain anything on a stockish engine with a standalone vs a good map like RST for example. It's only really needed when you have cams with enough overlap to cause an unstable MAP signal, and therefore need to switch over to an ECU capable of running TPS as primary load. Of course having TPS (and proper MAP) allows ITB's or decent boost management also - again well beyond stock.

Thanks, and yes getting rid of everything. What a over convoluted system the OEM is. Clocks wise I will probably run a system similar to stack, but I have a seen system that runs bluetooth through to android device.
Anyway doing some research, but have taken your point about mappers and what they are use to using so will be making some queries with these guys.

If you're going fresh then yeah 100% speak to the best mapper in your area. I mean Syvecs are one of the best units out, but if for example no one maps them where you are in 200 miles, it might as well be a Megasquirt!

If you're not doing anything with DBW, CANbus or needing fancy traction control strategies, then I always have a soft spot for DTA - piss easy software and widespread base of mappers. The S60pro will do fully sequential injection, individual coils and VVT control.

If you're going fresh then yeah 100% speak to the best mapper in your area. I mean Syvecs are one of the best units out, but if for example no one maps them where you are in 200 miles, it might as well be a Megasquirt!

If you're not doing anything with DBW, CANbus or needing fancy traction control strategies, then I always have a soft spot for DTA - piss easy software and widespread base of mappers. The S60pro will do fully sequential injection, individual coils and VVT control.

The DTA ECU is topping my list so far.