Stainless cam cover bolts?

l33th3tr33

Paid Member
Hey all, I'm thinking of making some nice bolts for the cam cover on the CNC machine at work, only problem is I'm unsure if stainless is a suitable material, as it has different strength properties to mild steel. Does anyone know if they'll be suitable or should I just stick with mild and anodize them?

Your time would be much better spent coating or anodising a set of the standard bolts (that is unless your materials and time are free)

Your time would be much better spent coating or anodising a set of the standard bolts (that is unless your materials and time are free)
My time and materials are free, this is more of a little project for me, I just need to know if the bolts will be hard/strong enough.

In order to answer this question, it would be important to know exactly which alloy is used. Not all stainless steel is the same.

In order to answer this question, it would be important to know exactly which alloy is used. Not all stainless steel is the same.
I've been looking into this more today and I found a post on a Porsche forum where someone asked the same question and due to galvanic corrosion they stuck with OEM bolts. I think at the very least I'll get a set from pure, at least they'll be to spec.

You’ll get galvanic corrosion with pretty much any dissimilar metal you use.

It’s difficult to pick something without knowing the material of the cover itself. This is another reason why I suggested sticking with standard bolts and coating them.

You’ll get galvanic corrosion with pretty much any dissimilar metal you use.

It’s difficult to pick something without knowing the material of the cover itself. This is another reason why I suggested sticking with standard bolts and coating them.
Yeah, I think that might be the best option without worrying if they're going to hold up.