Sportcontact 3 xl

I need a new pair of front tyres. I want to stick with the conti 3 but see they do an xl version

Is this the one with a stiffer side wall? Is it stiffer for handling or just for heavier cars?

Does it make much difference comPared to the normal version?

Yea, stiffer side walls. I have them on the front of mine and they seem good, but they were on the car when I bought it so have never tried the 'normal' version.

They're meant to make steering response a bit better but will make the ride a bit harsher too. Looks like they're normally a bit cheaper than the normal version too

If it says xl, they usually have the stiffer side walls. But xl normally means extra load, for heavier weight. But you now find that most lower profile tyres are rated as xl due to the side walls being thicker to support the extra demend on them.

i bought the T1-Rs on my last 197 which had the stiffer walls, the way i looked at it was that a stiffer side wall might help protect my alloys a bit more from the god aweful roads we have in the UK. Pothole capital of the world.

I can't see them doing anything negative, so xl ftw imo! Lol! Haha!

just bought a pair of SC3 XL's

£227.90 fitted from nationwide autocentre. got an extra £10 by using discount code TYRES i found on vouchercloud.

could have got them for £108 each at camskills but by the time i fanny on with getting them fitted it would work out more than that.

get them fitted tuesday morning.

i have 2 part worn mich PS3 225/45/17 they are all re-inforced nowadays.

if you want em mate yes. they probably only have 4 - 5 mm tread but they would see some1 through for a while.

Probably going to try and get a bit more out of the contis but will bear it in mind, also want your KWs if you sell yours!

Just got 2 XL's on the front and first impressions are they don't grip as much as the STD tyres but this coincided with the drops in temperature so could be caused by this, has anybody had any experience of them as I'm thinking the harder/stronger rubber doesn't grip as well or warm up as quick.This ties in with the wife's Mini having run flats which are absolutely hopless in snow, I think becuause of the much harder rubber/sidewalls.

Similar Thread Suggestions