Speakers

Ok guys, will have been asked before no doubt, but tell me what speakers to get, max price 100 pounds and I want ones that fit depth wise etc without any butchering or modification to anything if that's possible?

Don't need anything insane just want a better sound because let's face it the standard speakers are gash!

Thanks

Well I've just fitted the Pioneer upgrade speakers (TS-Q131C), £70 from Car Audio Direct. The woofers sound great, but the tweeters are worse than the originals. So I'm running a Frankenstein setup, you could say!

The woofers just slot straight in, but the tweeters (if you choose to fit them) don't fit quite properly, they're too deep and so the cover sits a little proud of the dash. One thing to watch out for is if the car actually has tweeters and/or the wiring for them in place, I know some don't.

The bass is very tight with the Pioneers, I generally listen to rock and some electronic, testing this evening after fitting was done with the Foo Fighters. I can now hear the difference between the bass drum, toms and the bass guitar - this was previously just "mush" with the old woofers.

I think general consensus on here though is if you have the regular Update List headunit, upgrading the speakers is fruitless as there just isn't enough power to drive them properly. I know with hifi you can get 30 watt amplifiers that sound great (my dad's 1980s Arcam A60 springs to mind) but generally that doesn't translate well to car audio.

You may therefore get more mileage from upgrading the headunit.

Cheers
Joe

The tweeter covers don't sit proud, they're just a pain to get clipped in properly.

Great review Joe, I've wondered a few times about what way to go if I wanted better audio. I think the standard setup is a bit pish but it always seems a mixed bag of reviews and opinions on changing head unit vs speakers.

Foos are a great way to test a new audio set up!:wink:

I saw a big improvement fitting co-ax JBL speakers front and rear. A heap more bass and less distortion.

They had a very high sensitivity so well suited to stock head units with little power per channel

Hmmm, I really don't want to change the standard head unit, I like the factory finish, I hate all of the bling shiney aftermarket headunits with a load of flashing lights on them :worried:

Upgrading just the speakers is a waste of time. It's like having a car with bodywork that can produce 500kg of downforce at 200mph but an engine that can only reach 30mph. If you get some properly heavy duty speakers it may actually sound worse because the HU won't be able to work them through their full range.

Hmmm, I really don't want to change the standard head unit, I like the factory finish, I hate all of the bling shiney aftermarket headunits with a load of flashing lights on them :worried:

This.

I want to keep stock integration too for the BT and steering wheel controls.

Any time I have looked at installing a new HU to include fingertip controls it always ends up costing a small fortune.

I agree with the point that there is no point installing serious high-end speakers without upgrading the HU. Surely a basic set of £30 co-ax speakers will be an improvement over stock though?

So you just replaced speakers Dave? No amping or change of HU?

Nope! I am really happy with it until funds allow a more extravagant install

They are JBL GT5-502 5.25" speakers that install easily back and front. You have to sheer off two mounting eyelets to fit them front and rear and also shave off the edges of the remaining two eyelets.

Sensitivity is 93db which is ideal for a low power stock head unit

Upgrading just the speakers is a waste of time. It's like having a car with bodywork that can produce 500kg of downforce at 200mph but an engine that can only reach 30mph. If you get some properly heavy duty speakers it may actually sound worse because the HU won't be able to work them through their full range.

Simply not true - see my post above this. The JBL GT5-502 is fairly cheap so its very cost effective way of greatly improving on the stock sound system without a gaudy looking head unit ruining the interior

One of my rear speakers (the one just behind the driver seat) has gone bust (makes horrible noise) and since I've never been too satisfied with the sound quality, I'm also thinking about upgrading my speakers. But I'm wondering, will the ones in the doors fit to the back as well? If they do, then I can buy new speakers for front and switch old ones to rear.

One of my rear speakers (the one just behind the driver seat) has gone bust (makes horrible noise) and since I've never been too satisfied with the sound quality, I'm also thinking about upgrading my speakers. But I'm wondering, will the ones in the doors fit to the back as well? If they do, then I can buy new speakers for front and switch old ones to rear.

They're identical on my 200 so you can swap no problem.