speaker upgrades?

c197mark

Renault Parts Advisor
Platinum Member
Im looking to upgrade all the speakers in my car, as you all know the standard speakers are shocking in the clio so i want to change them for something with more power, im changing the headunit next week for an alpine headunit with ipod connection which is 4x50w, just wondering if anyone else has changed the speakers in their car and what they have changed them for, im looking at puttin a sub in it, just maybe a decent set of components and some decent coaxals in the rear?

pioneer do a direct replacement for fronts/tweeters witch ive just fitted, i also brought some other pioneers (same colour as the fronts) which arent a direct replacement but do fit the back with slight mods. the fronts are ts-q 131c, the backs i cant remember the code but are yellow the same as the ts-q131c. hope this helps

Fitted some Focal Polyglass V2's and can't fault the sound quality, I did however put a new set of tweeters in the door mirrors and cut holes in the rear and had some tweeters put in rather than co-axials and it makes a huge difference! There's so many choices, head to an audio shop and they'll give you some ideas :smile:

i have Pioneer in the fronts and tweeters,

and in the rears i have a set of Kenwoods,

with an Alpine stereo as well the sound is alot better over standard.

I had a Vibe 12" active sub installed in the boot and spent time setting the crossovers up correctly with the original fronts and rears. Can't fault it at all.

dnt really want to do a sub just upgrade the stadard stuff, troopy aave you got pics of ur set up?

i tried to instal a set of 17cm alpine type r components in the front, had plans to amp them but even with cutting away alot of plastic from behind the origonals i still cant get them to fit lol they are just too deap lol

As promised...

Pioneer - Ipod Headunit

Photo0142.gif

Front Set Up (Both the tweeters on the interior mirror casing and standard ones in the dash work)

Photo0141.gif

And finally the Rears (They just cut through and slotted the tweeters in)

Photo0143.gif

thanks for the pics bet that sounds a lot better with 2x sets of components? are all your speakers running off an amp or just off the headunit?

thanks for the pics bet that sounds a lot better with 2x sets of components? are all your speakers running off an amp or just off the headunit?

I personally think it makes a massive difference, I can really turn the bass quite high on the headunit and still have the clarity with the components :smile: tried to video the sound qaulity but my phone was too rubbish lol.

I run it off an amp and i've got a 12" sub in the boot. Originally I had it fitted without the sub and amp, and it was just as good off the headunit, I just wanted the sub to add that little extra punch.

cool ill be looking for 2x set of components then, and maybe a small amp to run them what ones do you recommend? and what size do i need to get to fit in the door?

I've just got a Fusion amp from halfrauds lol, IIRC its a 1000w, got the audio shop to put it in.

As for the speakers I think they're 17cm, Sorry i'm not much help lol, I literally just handed the car over and said phone me when it's done lol! They'll give you some better advice but 2 x Components will be great!

The only real reason to get components over coaxials is for better imaging (to bring the soundstage higher up to your ears). Therefore, mounting the tweeter next to the mid like in the previous photo will only bring the soundstage further back in the car which isn't what you want.

A decent set of components up front and some coaxials in the back will be perfectly good, no need for components in the back

Ahh I never knew that, makes perfect sense though!! There really isn't anywhere to put the tweeters in a higher position in the rear, which is a shame.

I've always hated coaxials and becuase tweeters can handle the higher frequency I personally think that the sound quality is better when they are separated but it's all about choice i suppose.

I found that coaxials are "whiney" (don't even know if that word exists), even setting it up in the radio. I find out 2 way coaxials are way better in that.

Decent coaxials have a seperate tweeter sort of suspended above the mid, sound quality shouldn't be any worse than a similarly priced set of components.

If you had coaxials in the front doors it would sound like your music is coming from your feet. Putting the tweeters up high makes it sound like it's coming from ear level

dont put speakers in the rear. it totally knacks your soundstage. you wouldnt go to a concert and face away from the band...

I fully sound deadened the lot, boot doors and floors and fitted rainbow components in stock position and a hertz sub. all ran off a nice 4 channel it sounds amazing but its the install that matters...

Similar Thread Suggestions