Speaker Upgrade - Polk dxi525 Update

Decided to upgrade the crappy paper speakers in my 200. It doesn't have wires for tweeters so did a straight swop with 2 pairs of Polk DXI 525 coaxials. I'm keeping the stock head unit.

You can see in the photos the difference in the size of magnet and general quality of the speakers.

Unfortunately they sound just as bad as the stock items. Absolute waste of time and money. My only hope is that I've been told they need 10-15 hours to 'run-in' but I'm not expecting much more.

If you're not changing the head unit, not amplifying speakers and if you're not building proper door enclosures I would not bother.

The great thing about this Alpine unit is the ability to adjust the high pass filter. By setting this to 60 or 80hz you eliminate the frequencies that only a powerful subwoofer can handle. Your then left with punchy bass without the distortion.

I'm finding it hard to believe I'm getting this sound quality and bass from these tiny speakers. Recommended!
:jump1:

Attachments

• Spkr1.jpg
    Spkr1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Spkr2.jpg
    Spkr2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
They're pretty big in the U.S. and do have some high end equipment. They were almost twice the weight of the Pioneer and Alpine speakers that were in the shop and also twice as deep (59mm)

The reason they sound **** is because the stock head unit is beyond awful. It might sound okay if you've not heard anything better but after you have, you'll realise just how **** it is.

The size of the magnets on the new speakers require a lot more power than the standard head unit can put out. You'll need to get a new head unit.

It's like having a bb gun, and then instead of using the plastic bbs, you start using lead bbs; you find your range is dramatically reduced. You need to upgrade the spring/gun to make use of your new ammo.

ETA: You need a new head unit as a minimum. You ideally need an amp to power the speakers as the output from aftermarket head units, typically around 18RMS, is only just about adequate for bigger speakers.

Last edited:
I know the head unit was bad but I didn't realise it was this bad. I didn't want to get a new head unit because I can't be bothered with taking the face off every time I park.

Can't I add a small amp to the Renault head unit?