Skydiving

Fernandez

Gold Member
Cars are great and I get a massive buzz from driving on track but I want a new hobby.

It has to be fun, mental, high adrenalin and focused so I reckon Skydiving fits the bill.

Been looking at this for some time:

http://www.skydiving.co.uk/Accelerated.htm

Anyone on here do it and have any pointers or does anyone else fancy it?

I really fancy it, a lad I used to work with is going through his courses/certification now to become an instructor. He did a tandem jump for charity and withing a fortnight he was booked on his first solo course. He said it's just about the best buzz he's ever had. :thumbsup:

The AFF course looks the best way to get qualified. Its more intensive but I learn better that way.

The initial purchase of the kit, canopies, containers, jumpsuit, goggles, helmet, gloves, Altimeter etc is quite expensive but then you're ready to go.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a bike race school day like Ron haslam, Chris walker etc. racing a bike is by far the best feeling I've ever had!

Have you thought of motorbikes? Skydiving is probably safer......

Did bikes for 20 years, loved em and loved winding the throttle on a bit too much. The final straw came when I had a slight off 6 years ago and my daughter who was nearly 7 asked me not to go on a bike again cos I might die.. I sold the bike and bought an engagement ring....

Since then I have had no desire to get back on a bike

I really fancy giving this a go.... another reason to diet as I would fall to the earth too fast lol :tongueout:

I really fancy giving this a go.... another reason to diet as I would fall to the earth too fast lol :tongueout:

In freefall it doesn't matter what you weigh as the rate of gravity is the same for everything so we would hit the ground at the same time.

The problem lies in the size is parachute you would need to bring you down safely if you are half ton man, question is can you carry a chute that's bigger then your car.... :rofl:

Lol, been looking.... I need to loose about 4 stone.... Diet time me thinks again :worried:

Yeah just need to get back on it really, put 4 stone on since my dad died 2 years ago. Just can't get back into the gym routine as was on way there when I found out he had died

Be funny if you work your self up to do the jump and Freez!

Lol, I'd never tell anyone....

Yeah just need to get back on it really, put 4 stone on since my dad died 2 years ago. Just can't get back into the gym routine as was on way there when I found out he had died

It can be hard motivating yourself to do the gym. I used to go every morning but havnt been regular for the last 6 months. Really need to get back into it.

in freefall it doesn't matter what you weigh as the rate of gravity is the same for everything so we would hit the ground at the same time.

The problem lies in the size is parachute you would need to bring you down safely if you are half ton man, question is can you carry a chute that's bigger then your car.... :rofl:

hahahahaha!!!!

i work with a lot of base jumpers. most start out with skydiving, then base jumping, then wingsuits, then tracking, which is just like the wingsuits, but wearing what is basically a pair of overalls! i worked with a guy called ted rudd who died over in norway the year before last whilst tracking. load of clips of him on youtube.

i'd have a bash at the skydiving, and some of the easier base jumps, but never tracking!

if your gonna do the skydiving course, everyone in the know recommends empuriabravia (spelling?) drop zone is spain. i was gonna go with a mate a while ago but he chickened out. you can be jumping solo within a few days, easily within a week

If you can't motivate to get the gym build up at home first, that way when you do get to the gym you'll be more productive and happier as you'll be able to do more mate. I'm the same when I have a bad session it pisses me off no end, but if you can build up to it before hand it'll be more fun, more fun = more motivation in my books.

Back on topic of the sky diving. Hmmmm... I've always loved the idea, but never had the balls to go through with it let alone take it up as a hobby!

Id like to do it once to say ive done it, but not on a regular basis lol!

I've done a 15k skydive before (tandem) and I can honestly say its exhilarating. Bungee jumps have given me a bigger adrenaline rush, but I think that's because with a tandem, someone throwing you out rather than you pushing yourself to the limit.

The free fall is over too quick though, the whole experience is really, but it's such an amazing feeling. i really haven't felt anything like it before.

i work with a lot of base jumpers. most start out with skydiving, then base jumping, then wingsuits, then tracking, which is just like the wingsuits, but wearing what is basically a pair of overalls! i worked with a guy called ted rudd who died over in norway the year before last whilst tracking. load of clips of him on youtube.

i'd have a bash at the skydiving, and some of the easier base jumps, but never tracking!

if your gonna do the skydiving course, everyone in the know recommends empuriabravia (spelling?) drop zone is spain. i was gonna go with a mate a while ago but he chickened out. you can be jumping solo within a few days, easily within a week

Those base jumpers are mental, totally illegal in this county but if your ever gonna get arrested for something then I guess this is it.