Saturday shake down - North East.

I can't think of many who have actually done it to be honest.
Like Lew, it's something I've been thinking of doing on mine, but the difficulty is the rarity of the required gearbox you need to salvage parts out of.

I can't think of many who have actually done it to be honest.
Like Lew, it's something I've been thinking of doing on mine, but the difficulty is the rarity of the required gearbox you need to salvage parts out of.
Yeah I've seen a few done. Couple on here actually. TB rich has one, from what I understand he loves it.

I want to say the 019 has the same final drive. I have a sheet somewhere with all the ratios I'll dig it out

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: K.dough11

Thanks for finding that @PITA . Doesn’t make much sense to me personally, but will help discussion when talking to the right person :smile:

Nice one, makes complete sense. Is this tried and tested with clios that you know of them?
It’s difficult to get hold of the scenic final drive... it has been done and documented.. if you look thru @tombate911 progress thread for his Clio he talks through graphs and all sorts and a comparison between. Believe @TB Rich had one installed, not sure but he’s got a thread on here too. Mostly throttle bodies and engines blowing up :wink:

Edit* also sorry for the late response...damn browser

Believe @TB Rich had one installed, not sure but he’s got a thread on here too. Mostly throttle bodies and engines blowing up :wink:

:tearsofjoy: tbf that's mostly right!! Hell even my daily I blew the engine on (well head gasket!) and had an engine swap! Just ordered it's replacement so better not blow that up when it gets here:sweatsmile:

021 FD + 003 ratios is not for the faint of heart. As a pure fun car/track car it's cool, if you do daily it I'd maybe be inclined to go 021 FD + 024 ratios for the longer 5th and 6th.
I wouldn't combine a 021 FD and 031 ratios, because 1-3 will be too short, certainly the first 2 gears.

As for if it's faster on track, well I have a feeling it's as broad as it's long - and will be track dependant. For the increases in acceleration, you offset by extra gear changes. However it's frantic and very fun which is the most important thing!

It’s difficult to get hold of the scenic final drive... it has been done and documented.. if you look thru @tombate911 progress thread for his Clio he talks through graphs and all sorts and a comparison between. Believe @TB Rich had one installed, not sure but he’s got a thread on here too. Mostly throttle bodies and engines blowing up :wink:

No apology necessary. Thanks for sharing the info and including @TB Rich, who’s given some great input.

:tearsofjoy: tbf that's mostly right!! Hell even my daily I blew the engine on (well head gasket!) and had an engine swap! Just ordered it's replacement so better not blow that up when it gets here:sweatsmile:

021 FD + 003 ratios is not for the faint of heart. As a pure fun car/track car it's cool, if you do daily it I'd maybe be inclined to go 021 FD + 024 ratios for the longer 5th and 6th.
I wouldn't combine a 021 FD and 031 ratios, because 1-3 will be too short, certainly the first 2 gears.

As for if it's faster on track, well I have a feeling it's as broad as it's long - and will be track dependant. For the increases in acceleration, you offset by extra gear changes. However it's frantic and very fun which is the most important thing!

Thanks for the reply mate. Safe to say this falls into the “because fun” category then given some of the issues you’ve had.

Also, can’t imagine the gearbox enjoys the extra thrashing. Would love to experience it though. Assume you work on your own car which must help!?

Last edited:
Reactions: Beany
Thanks for the reply mate. Safe to say this falls into the “because fun” category then given some of the issues you’ve had.

Also, can’t imagine the gearbox enjoys the extra thrashing. Would love to experience it though. Assume you work on your own car which must help!?

I’ve not had any box issues beyond the need to rebuild the first time, surprisingly! I think if you go in principally for the fun angle then you want be disappointed, it def is more fun! Seat of the pants the straightline pace feels quicker, which is what counts. There was a foreign guy on the Facebook Clio group that timed before and after the FD mod, and found he went fractionally slower over a lap - which places some credence to my feeling that it’s going to be hit and miss (per circuit) as to if it’s quicker or not over a lap.
Really though if you want tangible performance improvements then you’d be looking for boost pure and simple! N/A, close gears; are not the right option if performance is a concern. (Wouldn‘t swap my setup for boost at all for what it’s worth).

As for gearbox longevity, well I guess given the fragile nature of the synchros, if you could extrapolate their estimated life in terms of number of gear changes - then yeah the FD mod would speed that up. That said, no substitute for mechanical sympathy, I wouldn’t worry about it in practical terms.

I don’t always work on my car, I would say if it’s a maintaince type job it will absolutely go somewhere to be done! If it’s a mod then hit or miss as to if I will do it, depends if it’s summer or not quite honestly and if it’s nice to work on the car! - But increasingly I do less and less. I’ve had decent work from Ktec and Regal so would always elect to go there first, neither are cheap but you get what you pay for.

Reactions: K.dough11

Only just seen this as I don't get on here much anymore.
However Shorter final drive is one of the best things I ever did to the Clio with the gripper diff.

35141427171_1e321908aa_c.jpg

Best way to see the difference is it in use. 3rd gear is much more useable out of corner and it keeps the engine reving much higher, I used to run a 7750rpm limiter too.