Rubbing/Squelching/Scrunching - ?????

Hello all,

I've a very unusual sound coming from the drivers front area of my 197. It's a 19K miles car, cared for, and recently serviced which included having the brakes stripped, cleaned and greased.

When slowing down for a roundabout a few nights ago I happened to have my window down and heard an odd noise that sounded like it was proportional to the wheel speed, but not a constant drone - more like the chuff, chuff rhythm of an old steam train. I drove to a car park and open the drivers door, lent over slightly and trickled along at a couple of mph which confirmed it was coming from the drivers front. But then I was able to make out the fact it sounded like a rubber squelching kind of rub - in fact, if anyone has ever had a pair of Nike Air trainers and the air bubble or the sole has split you'll know exactly the kind of sound I'm talking about.

Now imagine going for a run with one good shoe and one bad shoe and you'll have the sound and rhythm I'm talking about!

Anyway, what could cause this? It doesn't sound like pad against disc noise, and it doesn't look as though the tyre is fouling the arch???

Have you run over the neighbours cat!? I would imagine that would make a similar sound? :wink:

In all serious though my GF's C2 used to make a similar noise when the brakes had overheated (I thought I was driving my car :oops:) It turned out that the discs had warped and were catching on the pads every time the wheel went around. Had you been giving it a bit of stick prior to the noise?

Other option might be an underinflated tyre and you can hear the valve knocking...

right u will laugh at this but when i first got my car i had the same and it was a sticker on the axel catching the weights on the wheel as it turned. i might think u wudnt be able to hear it but man it was annoying. have a look.

Warped discs, brake pads down to the metal etc.

This happened to me on my gt tdi at the beginning of this year.

It turned out to a seized caliper was to blame.

I would check your discs tbh.

Hmmm

Woody - whereabouts was the sticker you spotted? It sounds perfectly feasible that it could be something like that - it's the right kind of sound.

The discs and pads all look in good shape with no symptoms of warping, although if I don't find the cause I'll get the wheel off and do a proper test for warping.

However, foxspeed, your suggestion of a mis-shaped tyre is something I would have dismissed only a few months ago *but* I had it happen on a relatively new Falken FK451 (on my 3 series) which caused no sound, but did give me a horrible vibration - when the tyre centre put the rim on a rotating hub for me it looked like an egg spinning!

It will need new tyres soon so I may just get some now and see if that sorts the noise at the same time - whilst it's on the ramps I'll ask if they don't me getting underneath and giving everything a proper look over.

Thanks for the replies so far - I'm new to this forum, I've been a ClioSport visitor since a couple of years after it started up (I've had a Clio 16v and 2 172 Cups) and having just bought a 197 for my wife (ok, I want to drive it whenever I get the chance!), it was nice to find a forum dedicated to one model/generation.

I'll let you know how I get on and if you have any more ideas, keep 'em coming......