Road tyre recommendations

I'm almost in the market for some new tyres. I've never been on a track, not really sure if I intend to yet, either. I'm a pretty sensible driver, but I enjoy some spirited fast b roads every now and again. Currently running 3 different tyres from the previous owner and a couple are showing signs of cracking on the sidewall, so interested in getting some soon.

Are PS4s the be all and end all? Is there anything cheaper that are not quite as good as PS4s?

What size tyres do standard 200 cup wheels take, do some people go slightly wider?

Standard tyre size is 215/45 R17, you could probably go as wide as 225 but it may negatively affect the handling - I guess it would depend on the tyre design.

MPS4 are great and can be picked for decent money online, friend of mine bought recently set from Black Circles with some discount code and I remember thinking that it was a great price.

Loads of places do good price on Good Year Eagle F1 ASY 3 as there is new version - ASY5 coming out now, so maybe have a look at them but to be honest I wouldn't buy them personally as the MPS4 is much better tyre (in my opinion)

Continental SportContact 6 is suppose to be decent enough too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcwsr
Thanks for the reply, I saw PS4s pretty cheap on black circles too. I'll check those others out too.

I think i saw ps4s sub £300 last week, but they're back up to £340 with a discount code now.

On the 197 I have used the eagle asy2 then PS4 the ps4 are very good but if the car has any suspension problems like a worn ball joint no tyre is going to feel good but the PS4's are good without going down the road of using a tyre like a semi slick I'm OK I have contactsport TS830p winter tyres as well they handle every bit as good as the eagle asy2 the winter tyres are that good not that the Goodyear's are that bad. The problem with tyres is a normal person is comparing a worn out set against a new set on your own car and quite some time between changes so you don't compare that many during the cars ownership.

Reactions: rcwsr
I think i saw ps4s sub £300 last week, but they're back up to £340 with a discount code now.

That's still a good price in my opinion. Have done 10k miles in mine and three track days (typically doing 1 warm up lap, 2-3 hot and one cool down in each session).

Yeah you're right and any tyres gonna feel good compared to some old worn out ones! I've just had lower ball joints done, along with some other bits, so it's feeling pretty sharp at the moment.

Ideally I'm after some tyres that can make it through the winter safely, but the wife and I share a bigger 4x4 that we use when the weather turns.

On line tyre reviews are, in my opinion, at very best only a very general indication of a tyres ability.
Tyres test differently on the same car with the same driver on the same track just 24 hours apart let alone the very superficial tyre tests that magazine's do. Their "best" will be different the following day.
If you want to save a bit of money the Hankook S1 Evo suits the car very well.

I’ve had Budget tyres, Goodyear eagle ASY3, Yokohama AD08R, Michelin PS4.
Don’t get budget. Goodyear most comfortable ride. Yokohama fastest in dry. Michelin most wet grip.
I got my Michelin on offer (£320 fitted black circles iirc). That would be my choice as a daily

And to further add confusion:

Continental Contisport 6 would be my choice for road use. Grip is fab wet or dry and last really well.

Having used Continental ContactSport 5’s until they phased them out, I’ve jumped ship to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s and I just stuck!
Because they seem to do the same for the car! Just stick!

My Vote goes for Michelin pilot sport 4, and in correct size 215/45/17.
I have those in my 197 and perfect..

So I went for 225/45/17 91Y Goodyear Eagle F1s and I love them (I had them on before, but in the OEM size 215/45/17) I decided to go bigger for 1 reason, bigger sidewall for a softer ride, but bonus was they were a lot cheaper in the size (more common size for other car OEMs).

There isn't much difference in the way it handles, but the ride is MUCH better, saving a good chunk of money too, I could have got PS4s for the same price Eagle F1s in 215/45/17.

If you are changing 4, it could be worth looking into the slightly bigger size.

Reactions: Sibbers and rcwsr
I usually get goodyear eagle asymmetric 3s because they are a decent comfortable tyre and kwik fit usually always have them available. I had to get 2 replaced the other day and including mobile fitting at my work it was £158

Had Conti SC3's in the previous 197, then some horrid yoko's, super stiff sidewall and not much grip tbh, car was pulling all the time, then conti SC5, not bad, but just felt softer in the sidewall even than the sc3, the second 197 currently running Mich PS4 and must say, definitely the best tire I have used in a 197, didnt have a chance to try the goodyears though, heard good words about them as well, but the michelin is both grippy, stiff sidewall, and pretty durable as well,

dont think conti SC6 comes in a 17 inch or does it ?

Will most probably get the PS4 again, or the supersports...

I won't be buying the ASY3s again as their wet performance isn't really that great so I wouldn't recommend them. I'd be going with a different tyre personally such as PS4s.

Thanks for the replies everyone. What about Uniroyal Rainsports? I read somewhere on here they don't last that long?

Haha I hear they're pretty good. But the reason I started this thread was to get ideas about slightly cheaper alternatives, that maybe aren't as good as ps4s but close.