Retrofitting Electric Folding Mirrors

Addison

Paid Member
Has anyone retrofit electric folding mirrors? I'm interested in doing this as I'm sick of folding mine in on a daily basis multiple times.

I couldn't find much on it apart from when they came out that said it was an expensive ordeal, I can imagine costs dropping alot with second hand parts fully to hand!

Just interested in knowing the work involved and possible cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have everything to do it and tested it need door looms and mirror switch and of course to power folding mirrors. Pluged them into the door post connector and they work just have to strip the doors and fit the loom and mirrors.

I have a 2008 Clio 197 normal keyless entry (non cup) part of my upgrade projects.

Also retro fitted the auto headlight rains sensors

Reactions: Addison
I have everything to do it and tested it need door looms and mirror switch and of course to power folding mirrors. Pluged them into the door post connector and they work just have to strip the doors and fit the loom and mirrors.

I have a 2008 Clio 197 normal keyless entry (non cup) part of my upgrade projects.

Also retro fitted the auto headlight rains sensors

Like to see some nice upgrades there! I like adding all the factory options for some reason haha.

Where would you find the looms fit the door and for the switch can you just replace the switch itself instead of the door cards I take it?

The folding mirror switch has more pins and so do the mirrors so you need the looms I got 2 brand new ones one from Belfast the other from England one was £25 and the other £50. I think the dash loom is the same on all 197 Clio's as the options were not very expensive I'm about to retrofit climate control and I think I can do that by fitting the motors to the manual blower box the extra connectors are on the dash loom will not need to re-gas the aircon. Mirrors are the hard thing to find rare some are listed wrong normal ones have 5 pins the power folding have 7 I think I will need to check.

The folding mirror switch has more pins and so do the mirrors so you need the looms I got 2 brand new ones one from Belfast the other from England one was £25 and the other £50. I think the dash loom is the same on all 197 Clio's as the options were not very expensive I'm about to retrofit climate control and I think I can do that by fitting the motors to the manual blower box the extra connectors are on the dash loom will not need to re-gas the aircon. Mirrors are the hard thing to find rare some are listed wrong normal ones have 5 pins the power folding have 7 I think I will need to check.

I found the switch that's 10 pin right? I just don't know where to start to find the looms haha. Yeah I thought find the mirrors would be a struggle!

I've retrofitted folding door mirrors to my 197. You need both door looms, mirror units and the mirror switch as the new one will have a third position for folding the mirrors in.

A relatively straightforward job that can be done by a single person but another pair of hands would make some parts a little easier, especially as I had to loosen the screws that hold the door latch mechanism iirc to get to one of the electrical connectors and those for the window regulator to get the loom out.

In regards to the cost, it honestly depends on what someone is selling all the bits for. Your best bet is to find a 197 and to take off the bits yourself or ask the seller to make sure that folding mirrors are present on the car. I was doing a bit of research into possibly using non-sport MK3 door looms but there may be some minor differences as I don't recall seeing many non-sport MK3s with the puddle light in the door card for example.

Reactions: Addison and Ppa
I've retrofitted folding door mirrors to my 197. You need both door looms, mirror units and the mirror switch as the new one will have a third position for folding the mirrors in.

A relatively straightforward job that can be done by a single person but another pair of hands would make some parts a little easier, especially as I had to loosen the screws that hold the door latch mechanism iirc to get to one of the electrical connectors and those for the window regulator to get the loom out.

In regards to the cost, it honestly depends on what someone is selling all the bits for. Your best bet is to find a 197 and to take off the bits yourself or ask the seller to make sure that folding mirrors are present on the car. I was doing a bit of research into possibly using non-sport MK3 door looms but there may be some minor differences as I don't recall seeing many non-sport MK3s with the puddle light in the door card for example.

Great thank you for that, exactly what I needed to know. Also since you mentioned not using a non sport, I assume you replace the entire doorloom?

Great thank you for that, exactly what I needed to know. Also since you mentioned not using a non sport, I assume you replace the entire doorloom?

No problem mate. You would need to replace the whole door loom regardless of if you're getting the parts from a 197/200 or non-sport MK3. I've still got my original non-folding mirror door looms knocking about somewhere which you're welcome to for free if they'll be of any use.

Just an update.....
You'll obviously need folding mirrors, an appropriate switch and only the drivers door loom. Relatively straightforward job. Might need to undo the door catch to be able to get to the plug.

You need both door looms for the extra wires to the mirror motors the drivers door loom is required because the connection to the mirror switch is completely different. You could work out the wiring and put an aftermarket switch somewhere to fold the mirrors. But remember the dash loom has to have the wiring between the door connections which I believe most 197 Clio's have the higher option loom fitted even if the car is lower spec'd as the factory then only has to stock and fit one dash loom then aircon etc is easy upgrade as for a Clio cup I would forget about it.

Hi all

Just wondering does any one have the part number for the loom? For power folding? As having a look online can't seem to find the loom and the ones I can they have no idea if it is. Will use from sports or non as long as the right loom.

Thanks for any help.

If it's a normal keyless entry car you have a chance if it's a cup the dash loom needs to be right, as far as I know the 197 Clio's were fitted with all options dash loom. The mirrors carry 2 extra pins and on parts lookup they are referred to as "type:03" option.
Clio 197 RHD driver door loom 241247719R passenger door loom: "?" there are a few options but I cant find a proper option but most of the RHD passenger door options have the same amount of mirror pins.

1647739279127.png

Reactions: ZaShark and Sean197
Aha thank you so much, i have got the mirrors plus switches and they are the rare powerfilsing type genuine renault gold dust lol. will have to get in there and see what loom I've got then, just wanted all the bits first and shove them in. But the loom seems just complicated to actually finding the right part. Again thank you and will see what goes on in there :smile:

Well you can disconnect the loom at the door connections and try your door loom without taking the door apart and plug the passenger mirror into its position or externally using a purchased loom and try it all before taking anything apart. if the glass moves and they fold in then just do the work to fit what has put me off is breaking the door waterproof membrane to fit the loom although I have done the push buttons in the door handles.
1647802406993.png

Reactions: ZaShark and Sean197
I sourced my loom from a Renault breakers.

Thank you sir will look into that, hopefully they know what am on about and get the right one.

Well you can disconnect the loom at the door connections and try your door loom without taking the door apart and plug the passenger mirror into its position or externally using a purchased loom and try it all before taking anything apart. if the glass moves and they fold in then just do the work to fit what has put me off is breaking the door waterproof membrane to fit the loom although I have done the push buttons in the door handles.
View attachment 149440

Aha again wow thank you! Will get on to finding hopefully the correct loom and will let you know how it goes. I understand what your saying about the membrane but maybe some swift sharp Stanley marks and see if it kinda comes off in one piece perhaps? To be honest my little beaut is a magnet for abuse. Everyone seems to bump into it etc and then vanish, also I've modded it slightly here and there so will never go back to showroom condition in its life lol. :smile:

Just a little update.

Finding the correct loom is painful. The one I found so far, is only passenger side. And it seems to have a round connector for the window motor and I got gut feeling mine is the square / rectangle shape connector. Did try to check the mirror switch and that's different too. So my loom is something else entirely in there. Hhhmmm the joys lol

Will find out when it arrives.

O and does any one know if these are the right ones? Please let me know thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322-125649_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-125649_eBay.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220322-125646_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-125646_eBay.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220322-125621_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-125621_eBay.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220322-125617_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-125617_eBay.jpg