Replacement Steering Rack . . .

Hi guys,

197 has been suffering from knocking which sounds like it's coming from the OSF.

It is quite a clunk when driving over speed bumps etc. KW V1's have been on for a few months now without issue.

Jacked the car up last night, hoping to find something really obvious. . . No such luck.

The only play I could find was in the track rod end, which is more prominent the further I travelled up the steering arm towards the rack.

Suspect my steering rack is at fault, quoted £468 for a replacement this morning.

Anyone had a similar experience? Changed a steering rack?

I believe you can purchase the steering arms separately, so debating whether to start there. . .

Thanks,
JAM

James have you checked the bearing in the top mount?mine was shot on the OSF and made the same knocking over bumps ect.Cheaper fix than a rack replacement with a bit of luck.If you take the mount out and have a pull on the bearing to see any play mine was well loose it should be solid.

Hi guys,

197 has been suffering from knocking which sounds like it's coming from the OSF.

It is quite a clunk when driving over speed bumps etc. KW V1's have been on for a few months now without issue.

Jacked the car up last night, hoping to find something really obvious. . . No such luck.

The only play I could find was in the track rod end, which is more prominent the further I travelled up the steering arm towards the rack.

Suspect my steering rack is at fault, quoted £468 for a replacement this morning.

Anyone had a similar experience? Changed a steering rack?

I believe you can purchase the steering arms separately, so debating whether to start there. . .

Thanks,
JAM

I can supply the part cheaper.

Steve

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?38130-Popular-parts-prices