Renaultsport newbie.

Hi guys.

first off my names lee I'm 28 and from surrey...

im looking to buy a decent daily runner and have my eye on a 197..it's out of this and a ep3 type r.

my girlfriend will be using it mostly but I want a fun car I can drive when I don't drive my car.

just wanted some info on these really and my budget is 5500-6000..would like a r27 really lol.

ive got a bit of a car history..I've owned a 170bhp starlet GT,300BHP classic impreza wrx sti type ra,brought a fiesta ST150 new and over 4 years played with it and it was supercharged 333bhp 259ftlb.was a well known car was fast ford featured twice..is now green and looks like a mk2 focus RS.i then brought a EVO 9 GT 410bhp 420ftlb..then brought a super clean silvia s15...sold that as I've just brought a house and got a 2009 mk1 mazda 3 mps that's currently running around 300whp.got a turbo to go on for 400.i can't leave cars alone.thats a few of the cars I've owned :smile:.

so what are these lovely little cars like to live with?

looks a great site.

cheers

lee

Hey mate, welcome.

When you buy just look out for gearbox crunching in 3rd and 4th, is a common problem with these and reqs a new gearbox most of the time. Belts should be done in any 197 now really, because of the age of them. If you go for one with recaros, the bolsters wear on them. Other than that theres just basic things you'd check with any car and pot luck of the draw.

Have you test drove one yet? They drive A LOT differently to them cars you've listed.

Welcome to the forum. There'll be a lot of bias on this site as you could probably guess, but the 197/200 is a great car and well loved by the people that own them. As [MENTION=29138]Chris91[/MENTION] has said, they aren't without their share of issues, but overall they are brilliant cars to own imo.

As Chris also said though, the Clio will be very different to your previous cars - straight line speed especially. I would also definitely recommend a test drive (on some twisty roads :wink: )

My current car is a good all rounder but won't handle like a Clio but on the straights it's a bit of a bruiser lol..once the turbo is on and I've got a meth it then it will be proper lol 430ish bhp it should be.

im not looking for all out speed but a mix.the Clio has far more options then a civic it may be slower but it's got the options I want like cruise,air con/climate control,xenons depending on model I think from what I've read..a better chassis so what it may lack in straight line speed it makes up else where.

plus they won't be slow,the Clio has 194bhp right? It's not mega heavy so if you use the car and rev it how it's meant to which I enjoy it will be a quick road car which is all I'm after something fun to drive that's not going to break the bank to run.

are there any mods you can do to get some extra power from it like a cat back,sport cat,map,some sort of air filter or bits like that?

i would love a Clio 200 but there put of budget but 2k which is a shame! Is the Clio 200 any quicker then the 197?

cheers guys!

If you drive it right you'll love it, as a pure daily with alot of miles it's not the comfiest in class but hey.

P.s a civic isn't quicker than a 197, jeez :wink:

I don't think it will any worse then a civic to live with..I'm not after a soft drive just a good all round car that's not a bore to drive which I'm sure these arnt.

im just going off what I've read,Clio is slower top end but that's not drastic as I won't be going 135 everywhere or 146 in the civic I just want the best car to live with I.e has a decent spec is quick and handling is important as I do like to chuck my car about and it's ok but won't handle like these I miss a quick n/a car that you can man handle.

i had plans for a full exhaust but the manifolds are good on these right? So just a sport cat and cat back,some lowering springs paint the wheels and a map maybe.i don't want to go too far as I get carried away and it will be boosted before long and 300bhp loool.

Silvia is SO nice man. Welcome along. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Clio if you choose one.. especially if you can't leave your cars alone!

Thanks guys :smile:!

not gona spam up with too many car pics lol..

but just to give you an idea in a bit of a car nut ha.silvia was the cleanest in the uk (one of 2 this mint) it had some serious suspension mods too had around £18k chucked at it.was 325bhp was quick as it was only 1200kg.

the Evo was awesome I miss that car :worried:!! Was one hell of a weapon!!

i do like these,they are better then the civic in quite a few ways.it has more torque for one so will be easier to drive.i think they look better too..don't have the chav imagine.i do like the ep3 but the ****e spec is putting me off.

what can I do to gain some horses from them?

who is a reputable tuner?

cheers guys :smile:!

p.s that's my mps,wheels and big brakes are coming too :smile:.

image-76.jpg

Truth be told mate, you can't do a lot to them easily to add horses.

You'd need to look into quite a lot of money to get some substantial gains. There are people on the forum who have done that, and they are quite pieces of kit once done, but its a lot of cash.

As I said earlier, test drive the car first as they drive a lot differently to what you might expect, but once your in the high revs chucking it round corners, your going to need something seriously fast behind to keep up, they are quite something that will put a big grin on your face in the bends :smile:

I want a revvy good handling car so these seem perfect..

how is space round the peddles,I've massive feet and this is the only thing I'm worried about lol.

as I've said im not interested in it being the fastest although I will prob tune it over time but would like it to make near the quoted power with just maybe a map and panel filter and exhaust..once my car is done I would look into maybe cams and stuff I would love to boost it but I've never had a quick n/a car..my fiesta st before I went forced induction was about 160-165bhp it was fun but lacked the revvy nature I wanted with the full exhaust and bits I had on it before I charged it made it better but these are quite keen to rev untill I boosted my st it didn't wana be revved hard..ford are gay lol.

Enjoy the handling on these cars, very fun.

Meggy engine it. Lots of people done it here and have 300ish BHP.

Peddles are fine, I find my foot gets stuck on the clutch when going to press it after resting it to the left but it's only momentarily. You get used to it.

You should be alright with the pedal space. I'm an 11 an wear my work shoes driving it an have no trouble. My cousins drove my car to an he a size 13 an had no trouble so think you'll be good with the space mate.

You'll love the car though. This is my second 197 I'm on now. Just couldn't live my life without one after I experienced one an gave it up haha.

I'm a size 14 lol...6'2 and around 16 and a half stone so not a small person but they look pretty spacious the boot looks an ok size too.

way prefer these looks wise to a civic..handling is what I want they will go well enough for me..it's a daily ride for my mrs and a car I will use as my mps will be a toy as im going to be running a fair amount of power lol want something simple and not so wild to drive everyday.my mps torque steers like a *******,it's around 355ftlb and 330bhp ATM but it's not on the road ATM as it's got no intercooler as they come with a top mounted intercooler which I upgraded for a better one but have a front mount now so it's waiting for that to come an then the turbo will go on soon..the k04 is doing all it can really now..21psi so once I've my upgraded turbo rebuilt with a bigger wheel it's going on...it's a work in progress :smile:.

i seem to have gone off the civic a bit now...I love these clio's they look awesome!

just wana drive one now lol

You may find heel and toe more to be pinky and side of foot in the clio at that height.
I'm 6'2 and managed but my feet are 'only 12's.

They are pretty spacious, any car I fit in is as I'm an odd shape . I've had lots of boxes in the back with the seats down and the seats come out easy enough so it becomes a pretty nippy van!

I'm 6"2 an 18 stone an I can fit in the Ricaros just fine. My butt an shoulders fit in just fine so think you'll be alright with your size. Feet may be a squeeze but think you'll be ok mate

Car is very easy to live with, like most hot hatches they have issues.

Have a look at our free buyers guide for common faults etc

Oh and welcome to the forum