RenaultSport Clio R27 - Correction Detail (Not mine!)

Today's was familiar territory for me - a Deep Black RenaultSport Clio 197 R27, 1 of the other 499 cars in this spec.

The owner, Sean, told me that the paint was quite badly swirled, but I hadn't seen the car previously, and hadn't seen any pictures of it. So I figured I'd take along a litre of Menz 203S, which does the job on mine, and a few other bits.

The car itself was at Omex, having a little work done, so I agreed to head down to their premises in Cheltenham, so that the car could be corrected in time for Trax, on Sunday.

I arrived at Omex about 12:30 or so:

P1010285.jpg

The car was quickly hand washed with Dodo Juice BTBM, then it was pushed back inside, so that the correction work could begin:

P1010287.jpg

Now, I was expecting it to be swirly, but the paint was absolutely SHOCKING! It was literally covered in swirls and RDS's. Parts of it were so bad that I thought that it had been wet sanded at some point! Here's a couple of pics:

P1010267.jpg

P1010276.jpg

I first tried the trusty 203S on a yellow Megs pad - it did a great job with the swirling, but the RDS's were laughing at it. So, I stepped up to some 3.02 which I luckily picked up at the last minute, on an orange Menz pad. This was better, but not quite good enough. So next was 3.02 on the white Menz compounding pad. This achieved around 80% correction with one set. I then tried it again with the same combination and we were finally happy with the results. The finish was then refined with 203S.

We also took paint readings before beginning:

P1010283.jpg

A few correction pics:

P1010270.jpg

P1010271.jpg

and on the boot:

P1010278.jpg

P1010279.jpg

I wasn't completely happy, but I'd say that I achieved around 90% correction overall, leaving a few RDS's. Sean also kindly mucked in and did some correction with his G220, on the smaller trickier bits using a 4" Menz White pad.

After correcting, we used Sean's Blackfire kit, which always looks stunning on black.

Unfortunately, the afters aren't great - I'm still getting to learn how to use my camera, but hopefully Sean managed to get a couple of decent ones too:

P1010290.jpg

It looked seriously awesome in the flesh, and probably better than mine!!

Would it be possible to send me a PM of some of your favourite projects to use for detailing your and sean's R27 apart from what you have named above (i know about the dodo juice etc, little bit expensive at the second.)

Btw im a follower of your threads, see them over at DW quite alot too! Keep up the good work!

Would it be possible to send me a PM of some of your favourite projects to use for detailing your and sean's R27 apart from what you have named above (i know about the dodo juice etc, little bit expensive at the second.)

Btw im a follower of your threads, see them over at DW quite alot too! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll send it over to you tomorrow - I'm just popping out now. What do you use at the mo?

Russ.

will hopefully get to see your work on Seans car at Trax at the weekend, if its done in time! If you are going you can give me an estimate to de-swirls mine

Crikey! That was looking nasty before. What did the owner, or previous owner used to wash it with?

It was born in scotland and bought up there for 6 months. Then for the year i've had it several corners were cut during washing several times a week. I may aswell have used a london brick to get the dirt off. Now it's back to new and i'll be taking more care, i promise!