Renault Sport R3 Maxi mods

Hey,

Looking around at some rally specs from Renault on their Clio R3 Maxis, they are actually putting out about 230 bhp stock (or is is hp?). Some claims on costumer cars are well beyond that:

http://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-for-sale/rally-car-20490.html

obviously the reliability cant be worthy for "normal" road use, but still..

Anyone who knows what exactly they do with the engine to put out such power? And are these parts available for us mortals, as RenaultSport actually has a parts purchase list, where the 230 hp (170kw) engine is priced at about £4000.

Cant find the link to the parts catalogue now but its somewhere here:

http://www.renault-sport.com/en/rallye/

Thanks!

some interesting information there :smile:
i know woody has/had his car running very similar power to the cup racer cars so perhaps pm him and see what that was like to drive/run/own...

The R3 has a stand alone ECU, Marrelli I believe? I'm not sure the standard one would get the best out of all that upgrade?? Woody will tell you his is temperamental, has an engine pre-heater and ticks over quite high.

Last edited:
We mapped it to idle at 1100 rpm and it kept stalling at traffic lights. Ignition timing problems. Wen i first fire it up now it idles at 1200 untill its fully warm and then drops back down. Seems to do the job. The pre-heater is now only used wen shes not been used for a few days. Starts normally now main thing about the pre heater is so that cold starts dont damage engine parts.

Omex 910 ecu with lots of goodies. Still yet to be explored fully. R3 airbox isnt something ive bothered with as standard air box does nice. 232.1 at wheels but seems to have developed a flat spot with ktr n 100 cell. Sounds....... Well orgasmic i can think of better ways to spend 7k thgh now lmao

fort it was 230ish at the fly. It not charged, just alot of internal work and standalone ecu.

Im more interested to know whats done to the Proton Neo S2000 rally car, as they seem to resemble the F4R and put out 280bhp! :smiley:

We mapped it to idle at 1100 rpm and it kept stalling at traffic lights. Ignition timing problems. Wen i first fire it up now it idles at 1200 untill its fully warm and then drops back down. Seems to do the job. The pre-heater is now only used wen shes not been used for a few days. Starts normally now main thing about the pre heater is so that cold starts dont damage engine parts.

Omex 910 ecu with lots of goodies. Still yet to be explored fully. R3 airbox isnt something ive bothered with as standard air box does nice. 232.1 at wheels but seems to have developed a flat spot with ktr n 100 cell. Sounds....... Well orgasmic i can think of better ways to spend 7k thgh now lmao

why not set it to idle at higher rpm? is it because it would make pulling off from a standstill harder and wear out the clutch?, as I dont think I have ever been having the car under driving conditions at that engine speed anyway :smile:

and 7k of mods?? assume we are talking £££ here so, OMG! Do u want to pm me a list of your mods Woody? could be interesting doing some of them, but not the whole package! lol

I think the Cup racers run with a dry sump system, don't they? That releases a good 10-15bhp or so. The Cup and Formula Renault cars have pretty much identical engines to a road going RS 200 though from memory when reading up.

Rich

I think the Cup racers run with a dry sump system, don't they? That releases a good 10-15bhp or so. The Cup and Formula Renault cars have pretty much identical engines to a road going RS 200 though from memory when reading up.

Rich

nope - fr4 engine with as said different ecu and exhaust plus of course built to the best tolerances and the big end bolts are changed as well

only dry sump fr4 engine is in the 2.0 world series cars (i think)

Ah yes, having just re-read this: http://www.renaultsport.si/media/Predstavitvena_brosura_En.pdf you're right. Although it seems to have the V6 airbox on too.

For those who can't open the PDF:

New Clio Cup takes the best of the innovations made
to the four cylinder 2.0-litre 16V (F4R RS) engine
fitted to New Clio Renault Sport:
• Optimization of the length and cross-section of
the intake ducts to increase volumetric efficiency to
greater than 1.
• Work has been done on the aerodynamics of the
valve seats and the camshaft design (continuously
variable offset on intake) to optimise exhaust gas
flow and fill rate.
• The shapes of the combustion chamber and piston
have been modified to provide a compression ratio
of 11.5:1.
The performance of the New Clio Renault Sport’s 2.0-litre 16V engine means
a minimum of modifications have been necessary to produce the motorsport
version. This guarantees reliability and controlled costs. The six-speed sequential
gearbox has however specifically designed to meet the demands of
motorsport competition.
Under the bonnet, the large Clio V6 air box supplies air to the 2.0-litre 16V engine.
CLIO CUP
The engine used on New Clio Cup has not been
modified internally in any way from the one on the
production version. It is sealed at four separate
points before being fitted to the car.
Under the bonnet of New Clio Cup, the most visible
modifications are:
• The air box, taken from Clio V6.
• The mechanical throttle valve unit which replaces
the motorized model used on the production version.
• The specifically-designed rigid engine and gearbox
mountings.
The exhaust system has also been revised. The ‘3Y'
exhaust manifold has been retained, but the intake
catalytic converter has been removed leaving only
the main catalytic converter in place. The dual
absorption silencer emits a pleasant engine note.
New Clio Cup can however, at no extra cost, be fitted
with the optional production silencer limiting
engine noise to 85dB.
Combined with the optimized electronic engine
management, these modifications yield an
increased power output of 151kW (205bhp) at
7,300rpm and torque of 223Nm at 5,550rpm.
In addition to the track testing, an endurance bench
test programme was also used to simulate 100 hours
of racing at Spa-Francorchamps and Monza, reputed
to be two of the most demanding circuits in the
world.

Rich

Cup version is interesting.

V6 airbox, no pre-cat and Magneti Marelli management alone giving 205BHP. Shows exactly what the limiting factors of the road car are.

Might look into its mounts too...

Last edited:
Solid engine mounts will be horrible on the road - different it it's a dedicated track car. You'll get engine vibration and probably gearbox whine all the time.

Cup version is interesting.

V6 airbox, no pre-cat and Magneti Marelli management alone giving 205BHP. Shows exactly what the limiting factors of the road car are.

Might look into its mounts too...

That's what I was saying all along - there are small gains just from a remap, exhaust & airbox - but, they do the difference on the street - because of the low&mid torque/power that is so much better.

Solid engine mounts will be horrible on the road - different it it's a dedicated track car. You'll get engine vibration and probably gearbox whine all the time.

Oh, not the lot! I'm just going to look at whichever acts as the pendulum mount to stop the engine rocking back and forth like its on elastic bands.

Raptor - dead on, stick to the simple mods and enjoy.

you want the drivers side one that replaces the torque mount that will stop the engine rocking or just fill up the torque mount with silicon sealer lol

Raptor - dead on, stick to the simple mods and enjoy.

Unfortunately, I've already gone too far...:smiley:

Catcams, matched inlets, exhaust (Miltek with sportcat, waiting for the decat to come), V6 Ph2 airbox & K&N panel filter, lightweight flywheel, remap...:smiley:

Having problems with cam timing, will get it sorted...

you want the drivers side one that replaces the torque mount that will stop the engine rocking or just fill up the torque mount with silicon sealer lol

Or use this:

loctite-rear-view-bonder.gif