Renault Ponterfract, need help

ok just trying to do a history check on a car which they sold a few months back.

the info with the DVLA did not tie up with the log book, so the DVLA told me to ring the garage

They will not tell me about any work which has been done to the car or when they even sold it.

why are they refusing to tell me any details about a car they have sold
I do not want any personal infomation about the owner so no data protection involved.

I asked for the Manager after geting a bloke called Glen on the phone, but he would not put me though.

Are they allowed to with hold infomation on a car which was sold by them new and again resold by them and serviced by them.

I have never had this problem before and I had owned 30+ cars and always talked to the garage about spec and service history.

why are they being funny about it and why does the DVLA records not match up.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS i might report them the the DVLA now as I think the car was sold months ago but the DVLA saythe car was only sold on the 22/1/2010

I have put a deposit on this car to buy and now having 2nd thoughts, sorry if the owner is reading this, but i hate parting with money when things don't tie up.

If it doesnt tie up, don't buy it and ask the DVLA to look at it dude, don't buy a car if its not right. Theres plenty more fish in the see.

Because i don't own the car the DVLA will not say much to me either.

I realy want the car as it's a very low milage one in yellow with all the options.

I am already paying over what is it worth imho, but some times you have to pay extra for a car with the right spec and milage.

you might as well know it is the r27 on pistonheads in Yellow with only 15,000 miles, it does look mint and has the CUP body kit which is worth a bit extra.

I have talked to the seller and he seems ok also.
I just don't unstand why Renault will not tell me anything about a car they have sold on ?

I also know the car had a plate change when the dealer had it back off the first seller, she had it on a private plate, it's just the seller says he has had it a few months but cannot say when (which is the odd bit), and the DVLA say it was sold on the 22/1/2010 and Renault are not saying anything.

In the end all i asked of renault was when did you sell this car.

I just wondered if I can make them tell me some how with some legal speak.

other wise I will have to take the car and the owner back to the garage first and make them pull up the info to the present owner before I buy it.

Why are things so hard.

I also told Glen at Renault I will be reporting him and Renault Ponterfract for fraud, it did not seem to worry him.

Last edited:
lol new update

DVLA cannot confirm any infomation on the car.

FFS they want to stop fraud, but then will not answer and questions or confirm any info which I already know.

this whole thing is a joke atm

Sorry my 1st post is a rant but it's getting right up my nose lol.

I don’t think I understand what the problem is, I am a bit confused.

Who is selling the car, a Renault dealership, another garage or is it a private sale?

What has you worried?

Sorry if I am being stupid but I am a tad confused lol

I know the car you are talking about, I was looking at it last night lol! Its on pistonheads so its not a dealer which is selling, none of the dealers in this area have a LY R27 atm. Im from the Ponte area and I know they had one up for sale before christmas time and it sold quickly despite how much they were asking for it, £13500 iirc!

Im a little confused too, what is it which has got you concerned about it? Have you done one of these HPI checks? The reg is on the photos. I dont think its unusual for the dealer to not tell you about a car they arent selling at the moment, especially if you dont own it yet.

Do you know what item it was which didn't match between the DVLA and the log book?

yes all seems ok apart from the guy said he has bought it last year, and started off saying he had it a year, when infact he must have bought it Nov time only 3 months ago.
I still have not got a date when he bought it.

the DVLA check says no previous owners, so i got my Hpi people to ring the DVLA as they will not speak to me and its listed to the new owner as 22/1/2010 ie 7 days ago.

where has 3 months gone ? or how ever long this guy has owned it for.

It's strong money so I want it to be perfect.

Looks like i will have to visit the garage 1st with the seller to get a history on it, before handing over my money. O well nothing is easy.

ALso it's owe's more on finance than I am buying it for so that's another hassle ;-)

Try one of those text reg checks to see if they give any extra info. Tis only a couple of quid innit?

Personally, if I thought anything was iffy I'd be putting my bargepole back in the cupboard!

OK right I can see where you are coming from because the ad says a total of two owners, so why does the DVLA not say the same, yeah?

To me the only thing I can think of is that the seller hadn't registered it in his name somehow whenever he bought it, which is why the DVLA only shows one owner when the seller says there are two - him and another. It would explain why he has no details of when he bought it and why the DVLA has only just recognised the change when he has come to sell it 7 days ago!

Like I say its just my take on it, it seems like the seller never informed the DVLA he was registered keeper, either accidentally or on purpose.

If he's a trader he doesn't have to, but he shouldn't be selling it as a private sale in that case. I'd grass him up to pistonheads for a start. Sounds like a profiteer who's bought the car to make a fast buck out of some mug.

Question is, do you wanna be the mug?

well the car was for sale at £13,500 from Renault so people say on here.

and he owes more on the car than i am paying him, he bought it from Renault and has Renault finance.

so no proffit is being made by the seller.

I am happy to pay a little more then the going rate this time as I was going to fit the cup kit any way, I just don't like it when you ask a seller a clear question, like when did you buy it ?

and you don't get a straight answer.

Any way , going to see it Thursday , and it justs means we will have to take a trip to the garage first to see why Renault did not send off the V5 doc, as it was down to them not the buyer.

sounds like you have this one quite thought out, dont blame you at all for being precautious. Is that Harratts in ponte? I was in Harratts Wakey the other day and they couldnt have been more helpful, so thats a bit dissapointing to hear.

Best of Luck :smile: