Removing Seized Brake Pad - Caliper torque setting?

Hi,

I'm currently trying to remove the inner front pad from the caliper but it wont budge!

The pistons are pushed in but the pad seems to be seized into the caliper.

I'm thinking of removing the caliper and knocking it out but I'm not sure what torque setting to tighten it back up to?

I have searched online but struggled to find it.

Does anybody know? Help would be great!

Thanks,

James

Decided against trying to take the caliper off as I haven't got the right size hex bit.

Tbh though the car is still under warranty and has full dealer history and a 4 year Renault service pack.

What are your thoughts on going to the dealer and asking if they will service the brakes under warranty? I know brake pads are a wear item but for them to completely seize to the caliper on a 3 year old car?

Surely if this is a common issue a brake strip and clean should be included in the service pack?

Not sure what to think.

Dont think theyd service them under warranty.

My local garage used to charge me about £25 to strip clean and grease.

You could play it two ways really, go in there and ask them to service the brakes and ask how much itd cost, then book it in for that price.

Or you could go in and say you want it done under warranty, they shouldnt be sticking in the caliper to such a new car, where I dont think youd have any luck, and now they know that its stuck and might want to charge you more for a refubishment or something along those lines...

If theyve not been out the caliper in 3 years then it wouldnt be uncommon for them to be stuck, hence Renault would just say tht its the owners responbility to have them serviced..

With the pins out, the only thing holding it in is a built up of crap. You need to get a blunt ended tool , screwdriver if you have to, and gently tap the pad from the top and the bottom. Few taps on the top then bottom, keep going like this and it will entice the pad out.

I managed to get the outer pad out by pushing it from the back with a hammer and screwdriver. But no luck with the inner pad.

Going to take the caliper off and see if I can get a better angle at it tomorrow.

If that fails off to the garage I think! Can't believe how jammed in it is.

I managed to get the outer pad out by pushing it from the back with a hammer and screwdriver. But no luck with the inner pad.

Going to take the caliper off and see if I can get a better angle at it tomorrow.

If that fails off to the garage I think! Can't believe how jammed in it is.

I can done that many over last few years.....still cant believe people still don't have their brakes checked/serviced yearly on these motors

have you tried tapping the pad towards the inner arch ie across the caliper to put a twisting motion on the pad - then tap it back to the outer side of the arch - using the outer edge of the pad backing material?

I know, tbh I think the guy before me just left the car alone and only took it to the garage when it needed it's service.

Yea tried all sorts, thankfully the pins came out relatively easy! Not sure what the other side will be like though.

Never thought getting pads out would be so troublesome!

Had the same problem.

Just bought the car so drove back with it and they sorted it for me. Also threw in some discs and pads free too. Don't think they'll do it for you though as they'll think you've pissed about with it somehow. Anything to get out of it.

Hooray she's free!

Took the hammer and the screw driver to the actual pad material and chiseled it away like a coal miner...

Enabled me to twist the pad and it pulled straight out!

Hooray she's free!

Took the hammer and the screw driver to the actual pad material and chiseled it away like a coal miner...

Enabled me to twist the pad and it pulled straight out!
Glad it worked. Take the time to clean it all up now you have them out.

Braking feels much better now, very pleased, although the abs & esp warning lights came on when testing but they cleared after restarting the car.. Bit weird but seems fine now.