Removing inlet manifold / head port sizes??

TB Rich

Paid Member
How easy is it to remove the inlet manifold? I only need to have a quick glimpse of how the gasket sits over the ports i.e what the size difference is? Ideally I'd want enough room to maybe take a template of the port sizes/take a picture.

I am having the inlet manifold ported and need to ensure that the inlet is not ported bigger than the head which is bad.
@Raptor6767 I know you've done a fair amount of removal work and porting on your car mate - got any pic's or measurements??

Cheers

How easy is it to remove the inlet manifold? I only need to have a quick glimpse of how the gasket sits over the ports i.e what the size difference is? Ideally I'd want enough room to maybe take a template of the port sizes/take a picture.

I am having the inlet manifold ported and need to ensure that the inlet is not ported bigger than the head which is bad.
@Raptor6767 I know you've done a fair amount of removal work and porting on your car mate - got any pic's or measurements??

Cheers

Upper inlet manifold removes in 5-7min, lower is another 15-20min. :smiley:

Upper inlet manifold removes in 5-7min, lower is another 15-20min. :smiley:

Thanks mate, so the top has to come off first or can I just remove the 6 lower bolts into the head and lift it out as one unit??

What else needs disconnecting?
  • Fuel rail?
  • Dip stick?
  • Airbox hose
  • Air temp sensor
  • Map sensor
  • Breather hose thing (the black circle bit)?

Cheers

Hmmmh...you could do that I suppose.

You need to remove the top 2 bolts that hold the upper inlet on the head too. And one of the bolts holds the alternator.

And yes, you've guessed right on what needs to be removed.

Sounds like a lot more than 30mins!!

Have you not got a pic of the head ports with gasket fitted?

I am thinking maybe to say dont open out the ports on the inlet where it meets the head - I am paranoid about them being opened bigger than the head which is far worse than having them smaller.

This is all because the company who built my engine didn't do what was agreed and open the inlets. - Costing me yet more time, money and stress to fix it.

Sounds like a lot more than 30mins!!

Have you not got a pic of the head ports with gasket fitted?

I am thinking maybe to say dont open out the ports on the inlet where it meets the head - I am paranoid about them being opened bigger than the head which is far worse than having them smaller.

Unfortunately, that's my setup at the moment because I had a ported head later on and now this head is ruined due to the engine failure.

2yl1k7l.jpg

2m68qat.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

At first I didn't have the head when I gave the mechanics to port and match the inlets:

PC042435.jpg

PC042432.jpg

PC042464.jpg

However, they did a great job and ported the intake on the head while it was on the car.

PC052474.jpg

Now I have a new engine with those ported inlets. Need to work on the head. Will do that by the end of this year or the next. Soon I'll have a new custom made intake manifold and will do some dyno/road testing so I want it to be in the same conditions (without the work on the head).

Thanks, you know I don't think there can be much difference in size between the ports on the inlet and ports on the head.

Probably best leaving them alone as you could do more harm than good. I guess just focus on opening out and matching the join between the upper and lower sections - then having a natural taper down to the standard ports at the head.

Can't decide if I want to go out and mess around trying to remove my inlet!!
Last question (I think!), what is the alternator bolt? Assume if I remove it I won't need to retension the belt or anything?

[MENTION=38628]TB Rich[/MENTION] was it engine dynamics doing the work? I asked them about porting my inlets (standard engine) and they said it wasn't worth the bother. Yet you see other companies claiming great gains. Anyone had a car dyno'd before and after?

@TB Rich was it engine dynamics doing the work? I asked them about porting my inlets (standard engine) and they said it wasn't worth the bother. Yet you see other companies claiming great gains. Anyone had a car dyno'd before and after?

Yes, it was agreed before hand to have the inlet port matched to the head and the upper to lower matched together.

"On the inlet side the ports are a lot larger on the head over the lower intake manifold, it may be worth cleaning up / slightly enlarging ports in the manifold."

Alas when I picked the car up it was not done :worried:

I am now getting Pure Motorsport to do them for me, but it'll never be as good as if the head was off and matched as 1. Frankly given the proven results Pure have with the F4R I have nothing but regret not using them for the whole build. The issue was they couldn't do the ECU - but I'm needing to go to RST now for that anyway!

Any chance you could pm me the price pure motorsport are charging for porting mate I was going to use Sussex performance but it's a lot more than I was expecting.

Yeah will do.

I'm not sure on the Sussex one, because the lower is taken out to gasket size I believe so will be bigger than the head ports. Unless you match the head then you're introducing a lip against the flow. Have a read on the subject and you will find that everywhere says that's a bad situation, hence why I'm being cautious not to have mine opened too much.
Might try this weekend to take the inlet off and measure the head.

If you can I would take it off and check how the gasket relates to the head inlet sizes i planned on doing that so i knew how much to ask them to take off the lower section. The thing that put me off the sussex one most was the price, as i would ask them not to take much more than just cleaning the lower section ports to the head up.

If you can I would take it off and check how the gasket relates to the head inlet sizes i planned on doing that so i knew how much to ask them to take off the lower section. The thing that put me off the sussex one most was the price, as i would ask them not to take much more than just cleaning the lower section ports to the head up.

You fancy doing it this weekend then and posting a few pics/measurements :wink: Pretty sure the inlet side on the 197/200 is the same. Just the exhaust side on the 200 is different.

If i have the time il have a look yeah, got a gearbox mount to fit so will have the spanners out. Il be taking mine of next month for sure so if you can wait that long il get some detailed pics and measurements for you then.

I'll maybe do mine this weekend, my inlets at Pure now so I need the measurements for next week.

Cheers

Does anyone have the gasket port sizes?

Also, are we using new bolts on the install?

Thanks guys!

Morty