Refurbing standard 197 wheels

Had a guy come out to look at refurbing my wheels last night. Friend of a friend so said he can do each wheel for £30.

Said that they completely re-paint them and then laquer them...i thought they just powdercoated - but then what do i know.

Anyway - he said that the wheels have a lot of metallic in them so he can't guarantee that they will be 100% as they were.......

Has anyone else refurbed their 197 wheels - and what have results been?

Woza.

Let me assure you, anything other than powdercoating is a waste of money. Regardless of the price.

thats got to be the stupidest reply ever

the wheels on my old car were wet sprayed by a reputable body shop and the finish was far superior to any powder coating refurb ive seen.

CIMG1802.jpg

Last edited:
thats got to be the stupidest reply ever

the wheels on my old car were wet sprayed by a reputable body shop and the finish was far superior to any powder coating refurb ive seen.

CIMG1802.jpg

Is that so...well a superb finish is of not much use, when a stone chip can destroy it big time.

Seen it many manys times on all sorts of cars/wheels...including my own one. I´m just saying...if somebody wants to try it anyway, i´m fine with that.

granted stone chips would spoil the finish, but theres nothing stopping a powdercoated finishing chipping.
Its all down to the quality of the application and prep.

I would definitely go for powder coating as "Roas" said!! That's why all after market light weight wheels are always powder coated if not chrome!!

Anyway, its your call mate... best of luck :smile:

Last edited:
I ended up having to completely replace one of my wheels because my girlfriend kerbed it so bad that that it was buckled and the wheels couldnt be balanced properly!

Also at the time I was told that if I had the wheel re-painted it would be difficult to match the colour and it would stand out so i'd have to get all of them done.

There are companies around that will strip, media blast and powder coat all 4 alloys on a RS197 for less than £200 including refitting and balancing the tyres! There is a highly-rated outfit in Herts (BJV Engineering I think) that are going to be doing mine in March. Best of all thet have about 30 colours to choose from including exotic finishes like black chrome... I was quoted £175 I think....but that was late last year for my previous car.... (18" AMG alloys).

had mine refurbed and painted gloss black only cost me the pricw of 1 wheel cox a bodyshop owed me a favor coz i helped them out at work, so i had all 4 wheels done for £35 so i cant complain lol but they do look good and i havent had any chipping incidents yet so im happy and the car look soooooo much better on black wheels than silver.

Powder coating alloy wheels weakens them due to the temperatures needed to cure the powder coat.

Paint them like you would paint your own car.

tbh I had 1 wheel re-sprayed and laquered and it went okay . . . . now the pain is peeling get them done by a workshop with baking facilities thats all i can say