Radiator Support

massivewangers

Paid Member
Been doing a bit of looking into this. Am I right in thinking that the ones on eBay for the standard MK3 Clio are exactly the same as those for the 197, with the exception of one of the radiator mounts?

So this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183867702641

Mine is rotten and has holes in it. As I have the next month off thanks to the virus, I was thinking about tackling it. I can easily switch the bracket across to the new support and give the whole thing some rust protection before refitting.

Is the bracket the only difference?

The bracket that supports the radiator you need to drill out the spot welds then do the same on your old bracket and spot weld it onto the correct position on you new radiator support as the brackets are different and in different positions.

Reactions: massivewangers
The bracket that supports the radiator you need to drill out the spot welds then do the same on your old bracket and spot weld it onto the correct position on you new radiator support as the brackets are different and in different positions.

But that's the only difference?

As I can't really go anywhere at the moment, it's probably not a bad time to do it, as would have plenty of time to move the bracket and give it some rust proofing

I posted this on Facebook and I will post it here.

Renault where moving warehouse in France and alot of parts went back order (Dephasers / Waterpumps / Belt Kits) and this was due to them going missing and a huge mess up.

The Radiator support is also in limbo as if you order the correct 197 / 200 part number you could end up with a standard Clio MK3 support that does not fit and needs modded.

I believe that renault have been made aware of this and that the correct part number is 8200803451

It took me 3 attempts to get the correct one.

AZQG1477.JPGHNKG2873.JPG
IMG_E0590.JPG

Oh ok, thought you may have put it there!

Might well get one ordered and swap it over. Should do lower arms at the same time I guess, as a bush is a bit wonky.

Hello chaps. I'm going to replace my rad support on my 62 plate 200rs. Many thanks @MarcB for drawing attention to the correct part no. 8200803451
Mine is currently as useful as wet cardboard...thanks Renault! I'm wondering if anyone can give me a heads up on best place to order from/ who is still sending bits out during lockdown, maybe @massivewangers ?etc. Cheers guys. Will p.s. I have some Bilthamber zinc undercoat and epoxy 2 pack that I intend to paint it with and I'll spray it full of bilthamber anti rust wax. Hopefully that will prevent or at least massively slow down a repeat performance. I will also spray everything with antirust wax whilst I'm in there.

THanks @RSRowe I tried RPD but they tell me they cant do it at present. Tried Kam Racing too but I'm not 100% convinced its the correct one. They looked it up on the Renault parts thingy which lists that part number as a "shock absorber"...they thought that was just a mistake, as apparently Renault have recently changed their database ,but are also aware that there a several versions and are not certain which one Renault would actually supply them even with quoting the correct part number. I guess I'll just have to take the chance with Kam unless anyone has any other ideas? Its disgraceful how Renault didnt protect that crossmember and worse that warranty claims are not straightforward. To be honest, I'd rather just do it myself as I will then know that the replacement has been properly rust proofed. cheers. Will

Well I've been waiting for a steering rack since 19th Feb I cant see why the support bracket cant be made to do both jobs normal an RS as I don't think the bracket will touch or interfere with anything.

The part has always been known as a "Shock Absorber" and the correct part number is the one listed above.

The problem is when renault decided to move a large amount of there parts in France they all got mixed up and went back order.

The only thing you can do is speak to someone who knows what they are talking about and that know the difference between the RS version and the non RS version.

There is alot of people on places like Ebay selling them listed for the RS when they are not, If you know a good local Renault dealer and the parts advisor is worth there salt then you are sorted.

RPD should know exactly whats what along with KAM Racing, Issue is getting stock into the UK from FRANCE and then getting it to the dealers if they are open.

What I strongly advise is even if its new I would powder coat it as mine started to rot again in under 1 year (Exactly 11 months) or best bet is to buy a second hand one, Get it blasted and then powder coated.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 19.13.07.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 19.13.16.png

Last edited:
I'm just going to buy an eBay one for a normal Clio and move the bracket myself, rather than trying to source a genuine one. Luckily I can do that at home.

When I asked RPD, they said they wouldn't ship one due to the size.

I surprised that considering they´re such a poorly made part that on of the companies making aftermarket parts haven´t come up with a simpler, aluminium solution. Would be easy to design and you could lose the legs/make it lighter.

I surprised that considering they´re such a poorly made part that on of the companies making aftermarket parts haven´t come up with a simpler, aluminium solution. Would be easy to design and you could lose the legs/make it lighter.

Part of me did wonder this too actually. It's slightly annoying that it gets in the way of removing the lower arms.

Does it have any other structural benefits other than just supporting the rad?

Only in the event of a crash I think. The legs go back to the subframe, so I assume that the support smashes up into the subframe if there’s a knock from the front.

Mine was only corroded on the legs. So I chopped them off like how the cup racers are.

Only in the event of a crash I think. The legs go back to the subframe, so I assume that the support smashes up into the subframe if there’s a knock from the front.

Mine was only corroded on the legs. So I chopped them off like how the cup racers are.

Do you have any pictures of this? Would be interesting to see!