Projector headlights vs Reflector headlights

I have a nimbus grey 197 with the chrome reflector headlights but I have recently bought some secondhand mk3 black projector headlights simply because I think they will look better!

When I've got them home to inspect them, it looks as though the projector headlights have 2 extra bulbs in them compared to mine, I think mine has 4 these have 6. Now I have read that one is a turning light which won't work anyway but can someone explain what the extra one is and also explain which bulbs (H7, 501, Halogen, Xenon, HID) I need, as I'm not sure what half of it is.

20200406_184855.jpgScreenshot_20210530-171142_Facebook.jpg

The extra one is a turning light, like you said you cannot use.

The dipped main is now a H1 instead of H7 in the reflectors, the full main beam is still a H7, indicator and side bulbs are still the same.

Reactions: Mez
They’re definitely an improvement to look at. I have 55w 6k HIDs in mine (H1). The main beam and corner light bulbs are H7 which you can just swap over from your existing lights..... obviously the corner lights won’t work without additional wiring.

HIDs aren’t strictly legal to install. But it would take a very particular MOT tester to spot them, given they’re a projector type light with a neat cut off.

Reactions: Mez and suj
Also to add, I run H1 LED bulbs, as I didn't want to faff with HID ballasts, but take the opportunity to upgrade your bulbs whilst you are fitting

Just to clarify, LED bulb replacements of the H1 and H7 bulbs will fail an MOT but the 501 side light bulbs are fine? Sorry, my MOT is next month and I want to make sure its right before I install the new headlamps.

Strictly speaking, for the headlight bulb I think they aren’t deemed road worthy because of the lack of e marking.
Everywhere else is ok.

I really can’t see your tester having an issue to be honest. I guess if you wanted to play it safe, just fit your current halogen bulbs and swap them over afterwards.

I think it was due to having to have washer jets to pass, mine is pretty strict and he hasn't said anything the last 3 years....

Did you have to swap any of the parts over from old lights to new or just a straight swap? They really improve the front end look I think!

Also a note on washers, i'm pretty sure the rules changed a while ago and they only have to work if fitted to the car e.g. a lot of new cars with LED lights now don't have washers!

Did you have to swap any of the parts over from old lights to new or just a straight swap? They really improve the front end look I think!

Also a note on washers, i'm pretty sure the rules changed a while ago and they only have to work if fitted to the car e.g. a lot of new cars with LED lights now don't have washers!

Just bulbs if you don't buy new ones and swap over the ones you can from old headlights.

Otherwise it's a straight bolt on (unless you buy brand new, sometimes the bumper support (black bit under) isn't on so you need to drill out the rivets and put onto the new headlights, same with the adjustment motor).

If you buy used it will come with everything.

Isn't that because the light ouput for LEDs is below the threshold for headlamp washers, unlike Xenons?

Reactions: suj
Just bulbs if you don't buy new ones and swap over the ones you can from old headlights.

Otherwise it's a straight bolt on (unless you buy brand new, sometimes the bumper support (black bit under) isn't on so you need to drill out the rivets and put onto the new headlights, same with the adjustment motor).

If you buy used it will come with everything.

Yes I had noticed that on some pics some have the support and some don't, I am picking up a 200 next week and need a replacement headlamp and would like to use it as an opportunity to upgrade!

Isn't that because the light ouput for LEDs is below the threshold for headlamp washers, unlike Xenons?

I'm not sure of the reason but I think there was a rule change that meant rather than the MOT tester having to decide whether the car should have washers or not (some cars its not obvious if they are xenon/LED etc) but rather if the washers are fitted they must work, if it hasn't got them fitted then its not applicable and the tester can 'assume' it doesn't need them!

Yep I think you're right DS

Yes I had noticed that on some pics some have the support and some don't, I am picking up a 200 next week and need a replacement headlamp and would like to use it as an opportunity to upgrade!

If you've got a 200, you're going to struggle to find used projectors, they're much rarer, 197 projectors were sold in much higher quantities on non-RS cars too, why you can get the easier and cheaper.

So like I said you might need to swap some bits over, but you can do off your current ones (well someone can confirm, as 197 bits swap over, I assume 200 reflectors to projectors do too)

Looking at getting H1 led bulbs but not sure how the clip that holds the bulb down fits with the bigger bottom of the bulb but obviously many people on here seem to have manged it. Any idea?

20210530_224945.jpgSmartSelect_20210530-225028_Chrome.jpg

I've literally got Katur ones in my car, they fit fine.

So you see below the bulb is another connector with a black wire going to it, put that to the black wire on Katur, then red with red.

So with the Katur the adapter comes off, so you take out the H1 OEM bulb, put the Katur adapter in and lock it in, then you just push the Katur LED in (use the OEM bulb to get orientation of the way the LED end should sit.

It's self-explantory when you get it.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I can’t seem to get my head around connecting H1 bulbs.

I connected the two connectors that lead into one, if that makes sense? I then connected the one that usually connects with H1 female connector and left the other connector connected to the metal housing. Am I missing something? Obviously my way didn’t work. Not sure if bulbs are faulty or I have simply not connected them right.

Attachments

• 4378E2D1-67D2-42CB-9526-D8010D48F025.jpeg
    4378E2D1-67D2-42CB-9526-D8010D48F025.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Just fitted mine, and it took a bit of head scratching. I ended up with the following connection that actually worked:
1. LED bulb Red wire with male connector: Connect to the red wire with female connector that previously went onto the back of the H1 halogen bulb.
2. LED bulb Black wire with male connector: Cut off the male connector -> Crimp on a new female connector -> Connect to the male pin on the projector housing just below the bulb.

Not saying this is ideal, but so far this is the only way the bulb works.
Planning to remove the headlights next week anyway and will see if there's a better solution.

Side note: Previously there were LED bulbs installed as well, and the difference in brightness on the road is dramatic. Literally night and day.
So not all LEDs are built the same.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I can’t seem to get my head around connecting H1 bulbs.

I connected the two connectors that lead into one, if that makes sense? I then connected the one that usually connects with H1 female connector and left the other connector connected to the metal housing. Am I missing something? Obviously my way didn’t work. Not sure if bulbs are faulty or I have simply not connected them right.

Reactions: Elviic
Just fitted mine, and it took a bit of head scratching. I ended up with the following connection that actually worked:
1. LED bulb Red wire with male connector: Connect to the red wire with female connector that previously went onto the back of the H1 halogen bulb.
2. LED bulb Black wire with male connector: Cut off the male connector -> Crimp on a new female connector -> Connect to the male pin on the projector housing just below the bulb.

Not saying this is ideal, but so far this is the only way the bulb works.
Planning to remove the headlights next week anyway and will see if there's a better solution.

Side note: Previously there were LED bulbs installed as well, and the difference in brightness on the road is dramatic. Literally night and day.
So not all LEDs are built the same.
Legend - It bloody worked!