powerflex gearbox mounts

Lovell

Paid Member
do the gearbox mounts make any difference to the driving of the car? getting the engine mounts done and im tempted to just get this done at the same time

Yes and Yes they do for the track there is no lag when you boot it. As for the road they can be a bit harsh. Be prepared for all manner of vibration issues !! If you can stand any buzzing then don't get them done.. they do give after a few hundred miles though...

awwww sugar brought them now getting them fitted friday :s ill turn the radio up and hope for the best!! :,)

do the gearbox mounts make any difference to the driving of the car? getting the engine mounts done and im tempted to just get this done at the same time
Are you referring to the dogbone mount?

I have that coupled with the upper torque arm and after the initial vibration it quickly settled down ... Lots of detail on here about this.

Are you replacing the engine mount with an OE one ?

no changing the lower and upper engine mounts, the torque arm bush and gearbox mounting bush all with powerflex purple series. hoping they do bed in ok now, i dont mind a bit of initial stiffness but this is my daily driver so dont want anything too harsh long term.

So your changing all 3 with powerflex, yes you will have more vibration , mainly from the engine mount on the left hand side of engine.

I changed all mine plus gearbox and the vibrations are not that bad at all once they have bedded in. Car feels tighter and gear change a little more direct.

Probably best to keep it to this thread: - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?43434-Powerflex-bushes-amp-engine-mounts there's already stacks of info.

But in short, as Montana has said, most of the vibration is from the upper engine mount bush insert (the one of the left hand side of the engine). I'd recommend to most people installing these, to do the lower engine insert, and torque arm first, and then see how it drives. If you're still not happy, add the upper engine insert too - car drives much tighter, but be prepared for a good deal of extra vibration too. It does settle down a lot after about 1000 miles.