PLEASE HELP: Long cranking - cutting out and generally upset!

All,

I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help me out, as the local Renault guru's (dealerships) are at a loss.

Basically, I bought one of the last N/A 200's (2013) with 6,000 miles on the clock about 10 months ago and it now has just 12,000miles.

Several weeks after purchase, I noticed that on two or three occasions when in the higher RPM range 5k rpm +, the rev counter would drop very rapidly when coming off throttle / changing gear and re-engage when engaging the clutch after shift (feeling like a bump start).
It happened so infrequently it wasn't an issue in my mind (hindsight is a wonderful thing).

However, 3 weeks ago I ran the car into the fuel reserve (light was on for about 10miles), during which the car cut out every single time I came off throttle, forcing me to bump start or pull over and re-start via the button. I assumed it was related to the level of fuel in the tank as I filled up and all was well with the world that day.

Roll on another week, and the car starts the same thing with a full tank of fuel - but this time it's intermittent (every other set of lights). I booked it into Renault to be looked at but they couldn't find any issues and it didn't cut-out with them (classic).
Luckily I'd taken a video (see below) to show them, but this didn't help as they seem to work off fault codes and nothing else.

Anyway, roll on another week and it's been driving fine. But, you guessed it - last night at a track evening it re-appears but only at high revs again as it did on two or three occasions months back.
When shifting near the limiter the car simply dies - and 'bump starts' when you engage the next gear. Which when you're flat in 4th gear and grabbing 5th, OR worse still down shifting (even with heel and toe) 4th to 3rd etc. is a violent affair to say the least!

I'm not hanging around on the shifts, I'm also using heel and toe to match the revs, but the engine dies so quickly that by the time I engage the next gear, the revs have plummeted (at least the rev counter reads zero), and it all comes back to life with a bang 'bump start' when I engage the clutch. Literally, feels like the engine stops firing and only re-engages when I bump it.

I obviously cut my track time short as I'm sure it can't be healthy for the drive train / engine!

But now I'm at a loss.

The car is standard (except centre silencer delete), always ran on 98+ (in my time), serviced at the proper intervals, shows no fault codes and no-one at Renault has experienced this (apparently).
Also, while I won't pretend to be a pro racer I've got enough track experience to know it's nothing that I'm doing.

So, I'm hoping that someone here 'may' be able to give me some pointers to start trouble shooting.

See the vids below showing the cutting out at low revs, it's now doing the same but only at high revs. I also have a long crank when I start it, not sure if it's the same on most 197 / 200?

Thanks in advance!
Sean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jCPt7lG0l0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoAhr9LGQCA

Maybe a dodgy ckp fault! Intermittent, ckp faults dont always put in a fault code! Or maybe a throttle body issue! Hope you get it sorted pal.

for what they cost change the tdc sensor first as most of those symtons - long crank cutting out and no fault codes is a tdc sensor issue

Renault should be sorting this under warranty. If its only 2013 then it still has a year left...

Agreed.
However, seeing as it's not throwing up any fault codes and the problem hasn't occurred during their 'testing' of the car, they sent me away and asked me to contact them if it re-occurs (which I have).

I'm just not sure where I stand in demanding they replace parts (or a series of parts) in a troubleshooting exercise.

The car is faulty and not fit for purpose.

There job does not finish at plugging it in and seeing no fault codes.

You dont need to demand to replace parts, they need to diagnose the problem and fix it.

Agreed.
However, seeing as it's not throwing up any fault codes and the problem hasn't occurred during their 'testing' of the car, they sent me away and asked me to contact them if it re-occurs (which I have).

I'm just not sure where I stand in demanding they replace parts (or a series of parts) in a troubleshooting exercise.

faulty crank sensor doesn't give any fault codes...

As foxy has suggested, check the tdc sensor first, unplug it clean it reconnect, maybe replace it with a new one? And if that cures it claim the money from the dealer.

Just a quick note of thanks for the advice. I requested Renault to replace the TDC Sensor and it's cured the problem! :thumbup1:

Renault should be sorting this under warranty. If its only 2013 then it still has a year left...
Just as an aside to your problem - I think you will find that your car actually has four years warranty and servicing as standard. Just in case your dealer tries to tell you otherwise as mine did!

Just as an aside to your problem - I think you will find that your car actually has four years warranty and servicing as standard. Just in case your dealer tries to tell you otherwise as mine did!

Why's that then? Surely that is only if it was bought new on the 4+ scheme and doesn't apply to ALL cars.

Well I'm in Aus and I 'think' the Clio III RS has 3 years where the standard cars have 5, I may be wrong mind. One thing I'm certain about is service intervals are every 10,000kms / 6,500miles which seems excessive.

[
QUOTE=Chrisgti6;554698]Why's that then? Surely that is only if it was bought new on the 4+ scheme and doesn't apply to ALL cars.[/QUOTE]
All Clios registered in the uk after Jan 2012 had four years warranty as standard. Can't be sure about the servicing, but when I rang Renault Uk to confirm my warranty period they told me that there was also 4 years free servicing on it. Worth checking!