Petrol Query | Confused

Right bit of a weird one this one.

Went and got two tyres fitted on the rear of my car today, and when I set of I had 38miles left on the range. Driving normally the petrol light beep and light came on when I got there.

I had the tyres fitted ,and then moved the car to get the tracking done (same garage)

Set off to go get some petrol at nearest garage, round the corner. Got out and put £13.02 in (all I had at the time)

Went to lock my car and go pay, but it wouldn't lock, was then I noticed that I didn't turn the engine off when I put petrol in. So turned it off and paid.

Returned to my car and started to see that the range was still saying - -- -

and the needle on the gauge exactly the same place as it was before.

drove home and left the car for 5-6 hours, and it is still the same.

Any ideas? Is it because i didn't turn the car off?

I mean £13 would register on the range wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. Sometimes the `ball` can become stuck a little in the gauge when low on fuel. I've had it before where small amounts of fuel don't actually register.

It costs me about £80 to fill up from very empty to fuel dripping out of the hole. That gives me a range of about 350 miles.

£13 should give you a range of about 55 miles.

Maybe your car is punishing you for teasing it with £13 worth of fuel :tongueout:

Would of thought 13quid would take it over, I've stuck a tenner in before an it's just come off red light?

mine did that when i left the ignition on while filling up, the trip meter hasnt added it on yet, turn your engine on and off a few times should sort it out

Mine did the opposite not long back, said it had 3/4 of a tank then only let me put £5 in and clicked off, squeezed 5 litre in and needle never moved :s

Just to update.

Went and put bit more fuel in, remembering to turn the car of this time! And it's sorted its self out now!

Cheers!