Oil cooler.. have you? Would you?

Liam Gunby

Paid Member
Has anyone fitted an oil cooler to a standard 197 engine...????

My 197 when on track gets seriously thin oil, so oil cooler would be good option right?
My thoughts the gap where the filter is, isnt massive?!?!?!
Would you need extra hosing to be able to mount it round the front?
Thermostat sandwich plate or not?

Any ideas, help, pictures, guides would be fantastic!

Thank you in advance!

I’d not bother personally. Plenty of us here who run on track with the standard cooler. I’ve done 45 min stints on track numerous times, and done 4 laps on the bounce at the Ring in 20+ degrees a few times too.

Are you getting the oil tested or just reckon it’s thin by looking at it? Perhaps a bit of fuel dilution if you’re doing short journeys.

I’d not bother personally. Plenty of us here who run on track with the standard cooler. I’ve done 45 min stints on track numerous times, and done 4 laps on the bounce at the Ring in 20+ degrees a few times too.

Are you getting the oil tested or just reckon it’s thin by looking at it? Perhaps a bit of fuel dilution if you’re doing short journeys.

Im just going off the sound of the engine after a hard session tbh. Sounds likes theres no oil in it at all and the dephasor if sha**ed....
Not had the oil tested. Im on a high millage engine aswell so anything i can do to avoid a new engine haha.