Number plate light isuues

last night i went to change my number plate lights on my 197 to LED bulbs, i decided to do it (maybe stupidly) with the lights on so i could ensure i had the new bulbs the right way round (im sure they only work if there plugged in a certain way round) and i got the one in and it was on and working fine then went to put the other in and got sparks and then the other light went out and now they dont work, now obviously i thought it would just be the fuse so checked on here what fuse it would be and it says it would be the same one that operates the interior lights and a fog light, but all other lights are working apart from the number plate lights... anyone have any ideas what ive done? or what i will need to do?

thanks

Shouldn't replace bulbs with the power on :/ just asking for trouble there, for the time it takes to walk to the switch and run it on it ain't worth it.
Remove the holders completely and check wiring, may have a dodgy/damp/damaged connection I had to rewire a plug on mine due to corrosion and my cars only 3 years old! The current from the sparks may have been enough to blow the cable :worried:

Also so could've destroyed the LEDs aswel there very sensitive to current

Try your old bulbs in them, as said if a LED exceeds a current of 20 mA they normally burn out which I'd expect what's happened

Hi Yes this happened to me I put the old bulbs back in ! after replacing the fuse in the fuse box by the battery its a 10amp red micro fuse just make sure you have plenty and few of the other ranges to ie 5 amps and 30 amps incase you need them later ! You won't have damged the cable the fuse makes sure of that. You'll need some needle nose piles to pull the fuses out though. Plus a cheap fuse tester if you don't have a multimeter.

Trouble is the fuse box by the battery does not have any fuse indications diagrams which is mad!! so its a trail and error job! Good luck, took me 10 mins to fix with a 10 micro blade fuse that is !!

Stear clear of the cheapo chinese LED's from ebay ....

Hi Yes this happened to me I put the old bulbs back in ! after replacing the fuse in the fuse box by the battery its a 10amp red micro fuse just make sure you have plenty and few of the other ranges to ie 5 amps and 30 amps incase you need them later ! You won't have damged the cable the fuse makes sure of that. You'll need some needle nose piles to pull the fuses out though. Plus a cheap fuse tester if you don't have a multimeter.

Trouble is the fuse box by the battery does not have any fuse indications diagrams which is mad!! so its a trail and error job! Good luck, took me 10 mins to fix with a 10 micro blade fuse that is !!

Stear clear of the cheapo chinese LED's from ebay ....

this is going to make me sound stupid but i looked for the fuse box in engine bay and only found a small one with one relay in it, i couldnt find another box, i found the one by the steering wheel though

its under the secondary air intake under the bonnet - you have to remove the trumpet to get to the lid...

You should also find that the front n/s sidelight and rear tail light is out as well. If so, you need to replace a fuse. The fuse box is in the engine bay in the top right corner. You'll need a t20 torx and a 10mm socket with an extension. Once these are removed you can lift the fuse box cover off to see the fuses. There are 5 x 10amp fuses in the middle of the box, it's the one on the left hand side that needs replacing. There isn't a fuse removal tool in this fuse box so use the one in the fuse box under the steering wheel.

[MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] Silly question, how do I remove the trumpet? I'm not a good car mechanic myself and get really nervous of messing up with jobs so a little guide would be nice if you can find one :smile: