noise...

right, hoped to find it on the forum before it was gone....

I have a loud knock from the front right shock, first I noticed the steering rod was loose on the right side so had that changed, done the geometry,

now I find that there were 2 different knocks, and one of them is gone, it was a slight knock when hitting small bumps, the other one came loud when hitting bigger irregularities in the surface and because I had the whole front lower part of the suspension checked and positive there was no loose parts anymore it was only the shock itself or the top mount alone, or both.

To get access to the top mounts you need to take the plastic cover below the windscreen, so...

Popped the hood, used a flat screwdiver to take care of the plastic screws, pulled them out and opened the plastic cover of the top mount... geez there is so many unnecessary parts in this car.... does the plastic cover do anything beside sitting there ????? anyway, I could easily see a crack in the rubber, when I put a screwdriver in it I could easily move the top of the shock so was already pretty sure its broken, just be 100% sure opened the one on the other side of the car to compare how they look, no crack in the other one,

any idea if these are 197 specific top mounts or are they the same as in other renault's ?????????????? I am temporarily broke :smile: so if I could use a non RENAULT SPARE PARTS price tag I'd be happier :smile:

I've having the top mounts replaced my my local stealer tomorrow as I had the same issue with knocking/crashing sound from the drivers front. What age is yours and how many miles on it?

mine's on 43000 km ( 26 k miles - did 20k miles in a years time alone though ) at just over 3 years old, mine's booked on monday, the complete top mount to replace together with the bearing, the whole set is about 60 - 70 pounds a side,

30 pounds labor,

hopefully monday afternoon it will be back to good as new again !

will be needing new front tires soon as well, hopefully will make it to the winter time when I change to the winter Dunlop M3's and then buy a whole set in the spring...

Hope you sorted this. Got my car back a day after it went in and had the front springs and upper engine mount stabiliser bar replaced!

I am going to have to speak to my dealer about this when mine goes in for the front seat back rest replacement

rich

So here is my first problem :blush:hmy: hope anyone can help :tongue:

There is a sort of squishing, rubbing, maybe plastic noise comming from the front left of the dashboard of my car (probably dashboard). I it so rare that I just can't tell where it's from. It seems to happen only when the chassis is very stressed - let's say in a corner or when climbing a small hill like a driveway/parking in front of a house.

As I worked out for now it only appears when the condition are like this - chassis under stress + maybe turning + bump.

Any ideas? :confused1: