New looking at a Clio RS

Hi all

I'm new to the site and looking to invest in a Clio RS for around the £5-£6k mark (ish)

I've owned a fair share of vehicles in my 8 years of driving, listed below in date of ownership order!

- MG ZR
- Celica VVTI 190
- MR2 (MK2 - T Bar)
- MR2 Turbo
- Mazda RX8
- Civic Type R (EP3)
- BMW 530D
- Audi A3 2.0 TDI

So currently own the A3 which is nice but I really feel like I need something more entertaining and involving to drive

I have a few questions around Clio ownership, having never owned a French car before (my brother used to own a 172 that he loved but seemed to break every week)

So my questions are:

- Gearboxes. I've read a lot about their weak points, are they really as bad as made out? I know about internet horror stories but it seems to be a regular one? What recalls have there been done? How likely is it to happen? Is there any way of checking them when viewing a car? Any more info would be useful

- I drive around 15k miles a year, including a 20 mile stop start commute (10 miles each way) which takes around 2 hours, Monday-Friday! Then a lot of B road blasts and some motorway work chucked in. The Audi is perfect for this as it has a very relaxing drive style and very comfy but isn't very involving at all and feels like driving a washing machine! I appreciate the 197 is a different beast and that is what I want! Does anyone else do fairly long commutes in their 197s?

- Anything else apart from gearboxes to look out for when buying? Any other weak spots?

- I've heard the K-tec exhaust on youtube with the "crackle map" this sounds epic! Does this involve decatting?

- Any other useful info to know before investing in a Clio RS would be useful

I have took a look around and learnt a lot in the last hour or so but would appreciate input in this thread also

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Hi it's only a Fiver to join a their is a very good buyers guide but buy a 200 if u can cup is fine had both if you do the odd track day def go for cup gearboxes it's hit and miss down to luck and welcome to the family

welcome, i had an audi a3 1.8tfsi before my clio and ive never looked back, most of my commute is b roads and the 200 makes getting out of bed a bit easier in the morning.

as for the gearbox's its luck of the draw but worth the risk imo just make sure it doesnt crunch or resist when shifting

I drive 13 miles on A and B roads to work and then the same 13 back, only takes 35 mins, I love driving to and from work now :smile:

I've got a 200 FF Cup and as long as you avoid the potholes down the crappy country roads your all good. I don't find it to be a crashy ride or anything either.

Welcome :wink:

Welcome mate, as already said, these cars are luck of the draw wIth gear boxes, mines tip top. Could do with a gear box oil change but no problems mechanically. A few for sale on here including mine, have a look.

Welcome. Sounds like your commute would be quicker on a push bike. I personally wouldn't worry about the gearbox, just make sure that no gears crunch.

Hi all thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any specific things to look out for except for the usual car checks? Can I expect to average around 25mpg with mixed driving? Thanks

Push bike isn't feasible really as I travel through some undesirable areas (if anyone knows birmingham, I travel through spark hill, spark brook etc) to get into birmingham city centre where I work. I have considered it though!

Welcome! I have a similar journey 12 miles there an back on B roads an then through Bath so stop start. I have a cup with lowering springs an don't mind the ride. Would say I average about 28mpg.

also one of those crackle vids might be mine, just had it done an just have a decat but the pre cat in the manifold is still there. Gearbox wise, when you test drive it teyban get it above 4k in 3rd then chnage to 4th to make sure it doesn't crunch. If you treat it right it will be fine.

Last edited:
If I really go for it I'll get sub 20mpg on the way in to work, then on the way back I'll get 30mpg at least, 6th gear at 30, easy I find.

:welcome: to the forum.

Get the cup, it'll make up for all that boring commute you have to do when the weekend arrives.