New guy on the block

Hi guys new to the forum and the world of a Clio Sport. I have opened two 1.2 MK2 Clios back in my younger days, so is my third clio, now I think of 50% of my cars have been Clios haha!

Anyway, so I bought my red Clio 197 on a 58 plate with 37,000 on the clock for £4,300 about 4 weeks ago, complete standard other than some parking sensors the lady before me had fitted, a real sight for sore eyes on the rear bumper tbh!

Anyway my plans at the moment are as follows;

Wheels sprayed gloss black
mirros and roof wrapped in black
lowered on probably h&r springs 30/40 front and back
cup spoiler
New style RS renaultsport badge from the 200 - already removed the C L I O
20mm spacers
Miltek cat back exhaust
panel filter or induction kit
64mm throttle body
engine remap

a few questions about a couple or things though

1. I've read before that the standard exhaust isn't that restrictive so purchased in aftermarket car back isn't going to free up much more, is any, power? Is this true? Because I would rather spend less money and get the mid silencer removed and and some nice looking tips

2. Will the wheel spacers make it handle like a bag of spanners? Because truthfullu, although I love the stance when on the spacers, I don't want to compromise the performance of it, i like to have the odd spirited drives and don't want it to be a boat around corners

3. I've also read the OEM Airbox isn't restricted so is a panel filter my best option? I've seen a couple on ktech that say it releases like 6bhp? Not sure how true it is though.

4. I've seen mixed reviews on these throttle bodies, not sure what route to take with it. If I did I would probably fit it just before a remap, so I don't have to worry about it learning and adjusting to the new TB. Theres a place near me called 'Big Fish Tuning' and on their website it claims to take my 197 up to 212bhp. Seems a little too good to be true or is that a possible gain from just a remap?

thanks in advance to anyone that helps

Ash

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

Welcome along buddy..cant see your pics..
to your questions:
1.the reason why people go for aftermarket exhaust mainly is to get a better sound out of it..the stock is really bad and wont give you bangs and pops.if you remove the middle silencer you will get an occasional pop and bang but also a bad flat spot in between 2,500-3,000 rpm..

2.space it or not-thats the question??i personally bought them and took them off not long after that..didnt find them very safe..but people have diff opinions..they give a nice wide stance though..

3.an induction kit will gain you some bhp after you have had it remapped..also a nice throaty noise..i went for a panel filter as i love the sound of my k-tec cat back..

4.tb-waste of money in my opinion...get a sprint booster instead :biggrin:

get some pics up mate..
hope it helps

Last edited:
Thanks that helps, not sure why my pictures didn't show I will try again. I do love the sound, but i don't want a constant drone when I'm cruising to work in the morning, I'd like a nice raspy sound but only when I'm higher in the Rev range.. Is there any you would recommend? I think I'll probably opt for no spacers, a good sounding but quiet when cruising exhaust, decent induction kit and remap! Like the sound of the sprint booster too, can't fault extra throttle response haha!!

I've got 20mm spacers and all is well, though a 64mm throttle body is more likely to reduce your performance as the standard 60mm one isn't restrictive. So a bigger one won't let any extra air in but the air that does go in will be travelling slower than with the standard set up. It's the same principle with exhaust systems. You want the smallest diameter which is big enough to increase air speed.

Welcome mate.

Pavs already answered your questions however, an aftermarket system is well worth the money, if you just want the tips, then go for it, but if you want noise, get a system.

Spacers have mixed reviews, some say they dont compromise handling, some say they do. Im not personally getting them as prolonged use will see your rear quarter pebble dashed with stones, along with handling issues.

A panel filter isnt going to give you 6hp, however upgrading to a better one isnt a bad idea, most people do change to an aftermarket one.

As Pav said, sprintbooster!!!!

No I mean an induction kit, I think it was one developed by ktec and it said 6hp+...http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2416&appid=3. I'm thinking of getting a miltek catback probably this one http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...-non-resonated-76-2mmspecial-292-2-50-63-50mm Anyone got any experience with this one, as I said before I don't want it overly loud when low revs or cruising, but want a nice raspy/throaty tone when caning it. Or am I trying to have my cake and eat it ha?

And I think for now I'll steer clear of the spacers, the stance is really good, but I don't fancy an abundance or stone chips, compromising handling and changing my wheel bearings every 5 minutes! Looks good enough without IMO. Getting back to the remap, is +15hp realistic? Or is the website lying.. I'm a bit dubious about a n/a engine gaining so much

Well the induction kit with a remap Might gain you a few hp but it varies car to car. I had one on mine but sold it after a week because it was very loud and irritating, but some people love it.

The system you linked is none resonated so is guna be quite loud. I have a scorpion resonated on mine and am satisfied with the noise, however after a year with it on I am looking for it to go louder though so will be decatting soon. Site traders on here will do you better deals on systems.

And I think for now I'll steer clear of the spacers, the stance is really good, but I don't fancy an abundance or stone chips, compromising handling and changing my wheel bearings every 5 minutes! Looks good enough without IMO. Getting back to the remap, is +15hp realistic? Or is the website lying.. I'm a bit dubious about a n/a engine gaining so much

15hp no lol.

Maybe a resonated is the way to go
for me then, I read somewhere that the miltek resonated is no louder than the stock exhaust, and I dont want that ha! Be a serious waste of cash! Maybe I'll look into a scorpion resonated of youre happy with the noise! Maybe you could upgrade to a non resonated and let me buy your resonated haha

If I wanted to make it a non res system, I wouldn't buy a new system id just cut the silencer out lol. But I'm guna decat it and keep the system whole.

Highly doubt that a miltek res would be same as standard lol.

Oh as easy as that haha! Well maybe I should buy a resonated then can always cut the silencer out if it's not to my liking! I'll keep updating with my progress though, and maybe trying get a before and after dyno standard and then with mods and map!

Welcome to the forum :smile:

As Chris says, be dubious of any remapper that tells you they can get such large gains from our engines. Even with the appropriate mods, you're unlikely to see such a big jump.