New factory made front discs or brembo (standard)

Dear All,
Newbie here so don't bite my head off if I ask some dumb questions. :smile:

I am wondering, which one is the better quality and provides better performance for replacing the front brake discs (and pads):

a) Original Renault disc (a friend of mine has a pair and he is willing to sell it for 50)

b) brembo with the vent holes (standard) discs (about the same price as the above)

In terms of the rear, oddly I have drums there. I think it makes no sense converting it to discs so I should go with getting a new drum and shoes. Can you guys recommend a good quality aftermarket brand that performs well?

My car: 2007 Clio MK3 197 1.5dci (BR1G0H)

Thank you for your help

Drums on a 197, that does not sound right at all

I was also surprised when I saw it. This is a 2006 model year but it was sold in 2007. I double checked it with Renault and in fact the series I have comes with drums. I am not sure how big of a job would be to convert it or whether its worth converting it.

Erm... Not sure if serious!?!

You have EITHER a 197 OR a 1.5DCi (didn't know there was one).

Does your car run on petrol or diesel? Can you post a photo? Please...

Oups, I made a little error in my post, sorry about that. My car details are:

Model year: 2006
MK3
Clio
Sold Mar 2007
Engine: 1.5 diesel (1.5dci)
Factory Type No: BR1G0H

Ahhh all is clearer now!!! :smiley:

I would have thought the standard Renault discs would be fine. It makes sense to upgrade though if you're planning on any trackdays or anything like that. Not massively clued up on the DCi to be honest so I can't offer much advice but Im sure others on here will be able to help you more. :smile:

Ahhh all is clearer now!!! :smiley:

I would have thought the standard Renault discs would be fine. It makes sense to upgrade though if you're planning on any trackdays or anything like that. Not massively clued up on the DCi to be honest so I can't offer much advice but Im sure others on here will be able to help you more. :smile:

Yes I agree the disc upgrade for the rear would make a big difference but I am not sure how complicated and costly is.

On the other hand, I am still wondering whether I should buy the original renault discs for the front or go with the brembo vented (standard) discs. The price is pretty much the same. At the moment I am not planning to upgrade to max as this 1.5dci had only 86bhp so its not the fastest kid around the town. But it gives me excellent gas mileage (60 miles/gallon) and it is great workhorse for daily commute.

If you have solid discs on now you can't just put the vented discs on, you'd need the vented calipers too.

The solid calipers would not be wide enough.

He will already have vented discs, i think he means brembo drilled discs. think what hes getting at is he wants to fit the 197 discs to his DCI?

If you have solid discs on now you can't just put the vented discs on, you'd need the vented calipers too.

The solid calipers would not be wide enough.

Both the original renault one and the brembo are vented. I just want to know which one is better quality and provides better performance.

He will already have vented discs, i think he means brembo drilled discs. think what hes getting at is he wants to fit the 197 discs to his DCI?

Well, not really. Basically I'd like to find out whether the original renault discs are better quality or not than the brembo standard discs.

It would cost way too much converting to the brembo max (with holes) as it would require to change the caliper etc. My clio is not worth that much of an investment since it is a diesel with 86bhp. My usage is standard daily commute.

If it's the same as on the 197 then discs are identical but the renault ones have the hubs painted black to stop them rusting and the brembo ones are unpainted.

If it's the same as on the 197 then discs are identical but the renault ones have the hubs painted black to stop them rusting and the brembo ones are unpainted.

They look the same but which one is better quality and provides better performance?

Yes I agree the disc upgrade for the rear would make a big difference but I am not sure how complicated and costly is.

Nooo... I meant that it might be worth upgrading the front discs if you're planning on heavy usage. Not change the rear beam to a disc beam. That's a sh!tload of work and not really worth it to be honest... Just stick the standard discs on if they're the cheaper option, they'll be most likely made by Brembo anyway, or Ferodo, et al.. If they're just standard solid discs (by solid I mean no grooves and no dimples) then just go for standard items. Unless the Brembo ones are HC, in which case go for those if they're not a great deal more expensive.

I'd assume they'd be the same quality but more expensive from renault.

About the same price (50) because my friend has the renault one he bought a while back but sold his car (and bought a megane).

So which one would you go with?

a) factory renault made

b) brembo (standard)

(Both are vented.)

Which one lasts longer?

Last edited:
Nooo... I meant that it might be worth upgrading the front discs if you're planning on heavy usage. Not change the rear beam to a disc beam. That's a sh!tload of work and not really worth it to be honest... Just stick the standard discs on if they're the cheaper option, they'll be most likely made by Brembo anyway, or Ferodo, et al.. If they're just standard solid discs (by solid I mean no grooves and no dimples) then just go for standard items. Unless the Brembo ones are HC, in which case go for those if they're not a great deal more expensive.

Thanks, I will check out all the options.

If this helps, these are the part numbers

original renault: 7701207795
brembo: 09.9078.10

So which one is better?

What else can I use that will give better performance and lasts longer? (without major work)

Last edited: