New Clio spotted.

Paddy_R

Platinum Member
Spotted a new shape Clio for the first time today. Was on a trasporter outside my local dealer, Charles Hurst (part of the Lookers Group). It was a dark red one with a French registration and left hand drive. Looks pretty bad from the view I had. Not good at all and bloody huge. Original scenic sized, or close to it is say.

Think that was properly the ones they used on there vip evening if its left hand drive and french registerd

Before reading this I was wondering if you were going to say the photos don't do it justice but in the end, you have confirmed our fears :-(

I wasnt keen but changed my mind after seeing the advert for the sport. I would liked it to have the vents on the front arches, i love those. I think the fact that it has a turbo will be welcomed by those who want significant power increase from just a remap

It will be like every other hot hatch on the market.......

I bought my 197 for very specific reasons, namely a NA engine and the enjoyment of driving it. Just can't see a flappy paddle turbo engine with fake noise making me stick with Renault.

there are loads driving round mainland europe already. I had a sit in one at the dealer and i have to say the interior is nice and a big step up but the outside still hasn't convinced me...

Dont you think the flappy gearbox is a plus point. You can make gear changes mid corner without upsetting the car

Do you really think Renault have installed a seamless shift gearbox into the Clio? I very much doubt as they cost as much as the car itself, it therefore there will be a very short period of time when your not really in any gear and thus the car will be upset. Better off with a proper manual, more control.

My dealer has a had a look around one at their VIP evening. He has had 6 RS cars (Clio and Megane) and even he is concerned by the turbo/flappy paddle gearbox.

He said the cars look much better than in the photos (true of the 200 too) but I'm not convinced.

I drove a Golf GTI DSG for a few miles and although great in traffic, I felt too detached from the car. I will admit I need more time in the car but 1st impressions count.

I am not against flappy paddles, I'm just not sure they increase the driver involvement.

Do you really think Renault have installed a seamless shift gearbox into the Clio? I very much doubt as they cost as much as the car itself, it therefore there will be a very short period of time when your not really in any gear and thus the car will be upset. Better off with a proper manual, more control.

They say it is a double clutch system. I absolutely loved the dsg box on my TT. You still have the involvement of changing gears in manual mode but changing gears is now more fun because it doesn't get in the way of going fast which a manual box does

I've driven various DSG cars, nearly bought an R32 so test drove them a lot and its not as involving as a proper manual. Really didn't like it at all and you have no where near the contol near the limit and with a clutch pedal you can sip the clutch when required. I'm yet to be convinced by any form of auto gearbox (because that's what they are at heart).

The only semi-automated box I've used and liked is the one in the McLaren, you can prime the gear by pulling the paddle slightly and then engage it by applying more pressure when you want the gear. It's very intuitive and you can also use either paddle to go up/down the 'box. Pull the right paddle to go up, push it to go down and then it's the opposite way around for the left paddle... Nobody elses system does this, that I'm aware of at least. In a car costing as much as that and being overseen by Ron Dennis, you do sort of expect the best though I suppose.

Lamborghini still use a single clutch semi-automated 'box and it really isn't nice. It feels very jerky and they have a lot of £££££s for development.

I would think that the Clio will be using the Nissan system? Anybody driven something of theirs recently?

From experience they (DSG style boxes) don't allow you to hold it at the rev limit as they just change up themselves. Yes they may be quicker in a straight line and have better fuel economy than a manual but they aren't quicker around a track.