My tyres after bedford

just had a look this morning at my tyres after a quality day out at bedford,personally i don't think they've held up to bad,bearing in mind i had a 200+ mile drive home though so alot of the cling ons on the fronts may have come off...

i'm estimating i did 20 laps in total,

thought the fronts may have been more battered and after what i've just read i think i might have had the front tyre presssures to high,it did feel like it was washing out quite alot in the final 2 high speed corners,saying that though the speed i was trying to carry through there was i touch excess,:tongueout:

the fronts,

7913368762_9e688c625d_b.jpg
tyre wear by scott1532, on Flickr

seem to have worn a decent chamfer on the 2 inner bands where many finger is,

7913326488_0ae7f24cdd_b.jpg

the rears,

7913399238_cc39f3f55f_b.jpg

7913438556_c2e0737511_b.jpg

willis did comment he saw alot of our cars cock there rear wheel,hope the photographers captured that,:tongueout:roud:

They've not done too badly Scott! I've taken some of mine so I'll post them up later. Same with you on the fronts though, I think the drive home as got most of the rubbish off but there's still signs of blatant abuse!!! :smiley:

Yeah on the tight left hander before the back straight, every single car was lifting the left rear. Yours and JosTheBoss's were the highest and Jonesy's was even doing it with the KW's on. I'm sure one of the lads was stood down there for a while so fingers crossed he's caught some tripod action. :thumbup:

Ha , quality.

They look like they have done well, wot pressures did u have them at ??

Rick

i went with them set at 32psi all round mate,checked them with iirc jostheboss's tyre pressure monitor after 5 laps and they where up to 37psi,just left them as i was clueless which way to go,

Here's how mine turned out (Conti' SC3) set at 30PSi cold, not sure on the warm pressure but I imagine it will have been around 35PSi.

Front Right;

20120902-05.jpg

20120902-06.jpg

Front Left;

20120902-07.jpg

20120902-08.jpg

Notice the outside edges of the inner bands have worn the same as Hendersons...

Rear Right;

20120902-01.jpg

20120902-02.jpg

Rear Left;

20120902-03.jpg

20120902-04.jpg

Quite surprised by how the tyres got on with a dry/mild day as I'd only ever used them previously on wet tracks. In the wet/damp they're superb and seem to suffer very little from wear but yesterday they were on the verge of giving up. I think the temperature was too much for them maybe as after 4/5 laps they'd start to fade where as in wet/damp conditions they'll put up with a good 9/10 laps of Oulton Park. They got nice and warm and sticky to touch yesterday, more so than at Oulton Park... I think the drive home cleared up most of the rubbish off the fronts too.

Last edited:
They look fairly similar to my conti SC5s (front) and SC3 (rear) after 25-30laps at bedford on friday. I was expecting a lot more wear to be honest, was running 35psi hot on the front and didn't check the rear but they were 30psi cold, had a touch of understeer so probably could have had the fronts a fraction lower.

Willis, my fronts were 30 cold and went up to 37/38 after 4-5 laps so you'd be better starting at around 28 cold on the front I think.

Last edited:
I'll have a read up and have a mess about next time with them Ben ,cheers. Unless I get some dedicated track ones that is. :wink:

I think in total I did 24 laps through the day so it's good that they're consistent with what yours were like.

Quick snap of my fronts. After first practice they were 37.5 psi so let them down to 33.5, did think about going lower but after going out again they seemed ok.

They don't look to bad but Jonsey said I was spitting rubber at him when we left the circuit.. I reckon they will be good for another track day but as road rubber they've had it. A new pair will be ordered tonight.

595_1.jpg

595_2.jpg

Are those federal 595 RS-Rs? How are they on the road/track?

They are Ben, and the level of grip is epic, the bite on turn in is so sharp and instant. Absolutely love these tyres.

Great on the road too, not bad in time wet either but they don't like standing water.

Mixture of Motorway and A road mainly, 2 track sessions. Covered around 8/9k with them so really happy with that.

When I first got them I thought they were wearing dead fast but they didn't. I'm gonna get another set ordered in around 5 minutes.. Lol

Just looking over my records and I've done just over 7k on them so not as good as 9k but I'm still happy with that.

Last edited:
just had a look this morning at my tyres after a quality day out at bedford,personally i don't think they've held up to bad,bearing in mind i had a 200+ mile drive home though so alot of the cling ons on the fronts may have come off...

i'm estimating i did 20 laps in total,

thought the fronts may have been more battered and after what i've just read i think i might have had the front tyre presssures to high,it did feel like it was washing out quite alot in the final 2 high speed corners,saying that though the speed i was trying to carry through there was i touch excess,:tongueout:

the fronts,

7913368762_9e688c625d_b.jpg

seem to have worn a decent chamfer on the 2 inner bands where many finger is,

7913326488_0ae7f24cdd_b.jpg

the rears,

7913399238_cc39f3f55f_b.jpg

7913438556_c2e0737511_b.jpg

willis did comment he saw alot of our cars cock there rear wheel,hope the photographers captured that,:tongueout:roud:

These have held up well i think